Last Updated on
CBD Oil: Is it Legal
in South Carolina?
South Carolina has liberalized CBD Oil use significantly, and while there are innumerous retailers of CBD Oil in South Carolina, but there are certain rules and regulations you need to keep in mind before purchasing from any store across the Palmetto State.
Is CBD Oil Legal
in South Carolina?
Yes, CBD Oil is Legal to consume, sell and buy in South Carolina.
South Carolina allows the sale, purchase and use of CBD oil provided that it is exclusively taken from the hemp variety of Cannabis sativa L. and not from any other cannabis variety.
This is in congruence to the federal law legalizing hemp cultivation in the harvest as stated in the Farm Bill of 2018. Additionally, House Bill 3449 of the South Carolina State or the Hemp Farming Act permits qualified growers to harvest hemp and derive products such as CBD oil from their cultivars.
The turn of events in the federal government relating to hemp production and extraction is partly responsible for the rise of CBD oil popularity. Now, such products are readily available in South Carolina but they do have to conform to certain regulations. One key guideline being that the CBD hemp oil and other hemp-derived products should not have more than 0.3% of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) component.
What's Legal, What's Not!
South Carolina is among the many states that have fully adopted the provisions of the 2018 Farm Bill, but legislation regarding cannabis-derived products are still hazy at best. It’s important to note that there are two common types of CBD products: CBD extracted from hemp (CBD hemp oil) and CBD taken from the marijuana variety (CBD cannabis oil).
The caveat in South Carolina CBD laws is that CBD hemp oil and other CBD products from hemp are legal for sale and use in the state. On the other hand, CBD cannabis oil and other related products are illegal for recreational use but may be allowed for patients with qualifying medical conditions.
Essentially, you can buy CBD hemp oil anywhere within state limits of South Carolina as long as the product is extracted from state-licensed cultivars. You also don’t need to secure any permit or doctor’s recommendation before purchasing, making it an over-the-counter item statewide.
The hemp industry is flourishing in South Carolina. In fact, over 150 farmers have applied for a license to grow hemp just this 2019. That being said, CBD hemp oil and various hemp-derived products may continue to see an upturn in the next coming months because such products are legal anywhere across the state.
However, South Carolina Code 44-53-110 effectively bans cannabis and all its derived products from any and all part of the marijuana plant. No recreational or medical purposes can justify the possession and use of this illegal substance and may incur fines and imprisonment. This means that CBD cannabis oil is illegal for sale, purchase and use in all of South Carolina.
There are special cases by which CBD products like Epidiolex may be authorized for use in South Carolina and is governed by a different set of laws. This drug is medically used to treat epilepsy and other seizure disorders. A qualified patient may possess such product provided that the CBD content does not go over 15% and has no more than 0.9% of THC amount. These are all included in Senate Bill 1035 or the Julian’s Law favorably voted back in 2014.
Legal hemp products can come in many preparations in South Carolina other than concentrates and oils. Some examples are lotions, tinctures, wax, creams, edibles, pills, smokeable liquids and drink.
CBD oil is thought to have therapeutic effects on many medical conditions, most notably for seizures caused by diseases like the Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Other ailments that can be treated or alleviated with CBD products are Huntington’s disease, Crohn’s disease, anxiety, insomnia, severe nausea, HIV/AIDS, PTSD, depression, glaucoma, diabetes and cancer, among others.
Where to buy CBD oil
in South Carolina
If you are anywhere in South Carolina, you will be delighted to find that CBD oil and other related products are easy to find and buy. There are a number of stores that sell not only oil and concentrate forms but also pills, edibles, tincture, creams, gummies and more.
Here are the different establishments that sell CBD products statewide.
Health and Wellness Shops
CBD oil is the next big thing in the health and wellness industry, and with hemp-derived edibles like gummies and pills, it doesn’t come as a shock that some pharmacies and nutritional supply stores in South Carolina have CBD products in stock.
Vape and Head Shops
CBD liquid preparation for smoking is available for sale in various vape stores and head shops across the state, but they may also sell CBD oils and other hemp-derived produ
Since the legality of hemp and its derived products, 24/7 convenience stores are cashing in on CBD oil popularity as well. You can find such products in-store displays easily, which is convenient for when you are taking a trip anywhere within the state.
CBD dispensaries in South Carolina primarily supply medical-grade CBD oil, but they also could have the OTC CBD hemp oil and other forms for your consumption. These are licensed by the state to sell medical cannabis provided that the patient has the proper documentation presented upon buying.
If you are swamped with work or are too busy to go out and find a local store that sells CBD, you can try the online option. CBD websites are easily accessible from your phone wherever you are. They offer a wide range of CBD products including CBD oil, which will be delivered to you anywhere you are in South Carolina.
Why Not Buy in Local Shops?
Local stores in the state that sell CBD are a great way to get your CBD oil, but are all of them reliable? The quick answer would be no. There are so many things that could go wrong with a simple store purchase, and here are some of them.
- Some CBD oil is impure and laden with synthetic additives that provide little to no effect in alleviating symptoms. These preparations are usually cheaper in price but if it’s value for money you’re after, such products are definitely not worth buying.
- Similarly, counterfeit CBD oil abounds the market these days. Various tests on some CBD brands revealed that there are a few CBD bottles that do not contain a single drop of cannabidiol at all.
- Some CBD oil brands are infused with potential allergens you might react with once you take them. CBD detox teas may have Garcinia Cambogia is known to cause several side effects, which may be more detrimental than helpful to your health.
- Since many retailers are taking advantage of the popularity of such products, they sell some of the well-known brands at 3-4 times the regular price. CBD oil is typically expensive, but some local stores may charge sky-high prices for a single bottle.
- Some CBD brands are improperly labeled and there’s no way to check unless you have done enough research online.
- Availability of a certain brand is not guaranteed in physical stores. You might not be able to buy your favorite brand readily since it might be out of stock. Your selection might be limited in local stores.
When you shop through a website, you’ll be able to research the product thoroughly so you know that you’re buying the right CBD oil that suits your taste.
If you have a favorite local shop in South Carolina that sells CBD oil and other related products, you’re in luck; however, if it’s your first time buying, going online might be the smarter option for you.
Buying CBD Oil Online
in South Carolina
Online shopping for CBD oil is easy and takes only a few clicks, but there are a few things you have to keep in mind before committing to a certain brand. This way, you know that what you are buying is 100% safe, effective and legal within South Carolina. It only takes a few minutes to do these steps so you can purchase the best CBD oil for you.
- Inspect Packaging. Labels are important in any product, and it applies to CBD oil and other CBD-containing products, too. This way you know what’s in the formulation of the product. It’s good to check whether the ingredients are safe for you.
- Ask about the Product. Find out everything there is to know about the CBD oil before buying it. Ask about the ingredients, formulation and every concern you might want to have answered regarding the product.
- Refer to reviews. Customers know how effective the product really is, and you can read them on product reviews and comments section. This way you know about the product from a user’s standpoint.
- Know before you Pay. CBD oil price may vary depending on brand, size and other parameters relevant to the product. Also, check that you are paying for a CBD oil that has no more than 0.3% THC for it to be legal for shipping to South Carolina.
CBD oil in South Carolina is available and convenient to buy. It’s an innovation with numerous health benefits, and now is the best time as any to discover the benefits of CBD to your health and wellness.
Buy your CBD oil in South Carolina from online websites to select from a wide range of products that suit your budget and taste. Most online shops have 100% safe, reliable and healthy CBD oil and CBD-infused products that can be delivered without any hassle to you!