Pet owners often wonder if CBD can be used on their dogs or cats. They may also ask questions, like…
Ø Is CBD safe for my pets?
Ø What are the safest and the most convenient ways to give them CBD?
Ø How much CBD to give my dog?
Ø Which brands make products suitable for dogs?
Ø Are there any pet-specific CBD products too?
Ø Which brands make good-quality pet products?
Ø Which CBD brands are the best in making pet products?
If you have ever pondered upon such questions, this article is for you!
We will not only answer all these questions but also offer you a list of CBD brands that offer the best quality pet products that are perfectly suitable and safe for your fur babies.
As for your primary question, CBD can not only be used on your dogs but is also quite effective in helping your pet overcome a lot of normal health issues, even while boosting their overall health and wellness.
The reason for that is that dogs, like humans, have a central nervous system and a peripheral nervous system – which is what is necessary for cannabinoids, like CBD, to react with the body.
CBD is quite safe for dogs if given in the appropriate dosage. Remember, dogs need much less CBD than humans. Their endocannabinoid receptors are far more sensitive than ours.
That is why quite a few CBD brands have come up with products that are specifically suited for dogs – like dog treats, soft chews, and CBD oils optimized for consumption by dogs and cats. There are also some CBD brands that are specialized in pet products and manufacture and market only CBD pet products.
Our list of CBD Dog Treats includes only those brands of products that have successfully designed dog-friendly dog biscuits and treats, i.e. flavored favorably for dogs, and included CBD extracts that are not only safe but also effective on different health conditions from which dogs normally suffer.
But before we get into that, we want to talk briefly about why CBD treats are better than any other CBD products for pets.
CBD Dog Treats – Usability, Safety &Effectiveness
CBD products are available in different forms – even for animals! Nonetheless, one of the best-suited and most-convenient ways of administering CBD on animals is with the help of edibles that they love – tasty treats, biscuits, and chews! These are the pet versions of human gummy bears.
As for safety, CBD is good for dogs, i.e. as long as the dosage is more or less right for their condition and weight, and is given at the appropriate time. Treats and biscuits are quite easy to dose and generally loved by animals, who just love to chew.
CBD dog treats are also quite effective. Given the fact that dogs love the yummy peanut butter-, bacon-, salmon, or sweet potato-flavored tastes, the necessary dose of CBD is easily administered. CBD is quite effective in several health issues concerning dogs, like…
- Reducing separation anxiety among clingy dogs
- Calming hyperactive pets
- Relieving stress caused by loud noises, especially during festivities
- Relieving joint and muscle pain and/or inflammation
- Increasing mobility among older dogs
- Improving dog skin and coat health
- Improving heart health & helping overcome heart issues
- Boosting immunity
- Improving sleep patterns
- Combating seasonal allergies
Always make sure you give your doggo the right dose of CBD to ensure optimal effects. To know more about the right dosage, read “Dosing of CBD Dog Treats”.
Best CBD Dog Treats – Making Our List
Each year, “The Cannabis Radar” releases “The Best of” lists of different CBD products. To create the list of “Best CBD Dog Treats”, we reached out to our direct subscribers and readers and sought their opinion. We also studied user reviews posted on brand websites and other blogs.
While we never claim that our list is all-inclusive or contains all the best products in the market, we still stand by our lists, as over 4,500 people, we interviewed, vouched for them, and user reviews have conformed to their opinion.
To make sure we suggest only the best of products to our readers, we break down each product according to different factors.
Factors to gauge CBD Dog Treats
- Potency: A CBD product is as effective as its potency. Simply being safe or of good quality isn’t enough. However, one needs to understand that animals, especially dogs, have a sensitive endocannabinoid system. They don’t need as much CBD as humans do to have the same effect. A little bit of this cannabinoid goes an even longer way for dogs than it does for humans.
- Ingredients: Dogs can’t tolerate the same kind of foods that humans can. All products, meant for consumption by dogs, including CBD products, are required to be suited and optimized for dogs. Indeed, CBD is good for vertebrate animals. However, CBD products also contain some other ingredients. Dog-specific CBD products aren’t made with the same kind of ingredients as those made for humans, neither do they taste the same. Generally speaking, the ingredients must…
Ø Be well-suited for consumption by dogs,
Ø Be devoid of harmful chemicals, contaminants, or high levels of psychoactive substances,
Ø Be natural, preferably organic (including the CBD extracts),
Ø Boost CBD’s effectiveness, and not hinder it.
- Hemp source: The CBD extracts used to make the products must be sourced from hemp grown on regulated farmlands in the US or Europe. This would ensure the end-product is safe, effective, and of good quality. It would also make sure that the products don’t contain high levels of THC. The mind-altering effects of THC can be pleasurable for most humans but can be fatal for dogs.
- Extract type: CBD products for dogs are usually sourced from two types of extracts. They are either full-spectrum CBD blends [i.e. whole-plant extract, with all cannabinoids (including THC), terpenes, fatty acids, minerals, and flavonoids] or broad-spectrum [same as full-spectrum, sans THC]. CBD products for pets are rarely available in isolate form. It is believed that these blends of CBD are the most effective, like the other natural components of hemp boosts the effects of CBD.
- Lab tests: When it comes to the health of your fur babies, you should trust only those brands that get its products tested by a third-party laboratory and makes the lab reports public. These lab reports would testify for the authenticity, potency, efficiency, quality, and safety of the CBD pet products.
- Guarantees: Brands, confident about the effectiveness of their products, give off this vibe through promises of full-refund if you’re dissatisfied with the results or receive them in poor condition. This tells you that you can trust them to do right by the health of your beloved pets.
- Brand Image: Brands that have established themselves as trustworthy will always make sure they don’t lose the confidence of their loyal customers. Besides, the time put in by the experts on the payroll of the companies in developing the products makes for safe and effective products.
- Price: CBD products are expensive. But our reviewers make sure that they only recommend products that give you the best value for money.
Best CBD Dog Treats: Brands That Made The Cut & Why
- HonestPaws CBD
- Hemp Bombs
FabCBD as a Brand
In spite of being a comparatively new and small company, FabCBD has successfully created its niche in the competitive CBD industry. Within a very short period, the company has been able to garner a large and loyal customer base with its line of potent, yet safe, effective, and high-quality CBD products, including pet products.
The company is very transparent about its practices and operations, including its farming, lab testing, branding, customer support, and customer feedback. Its world-class customer support team is very responsive and is ready to answer any and all queries that you may have about using CBD on your pets.
Like its other CBD products meant for humans, their pet products, too, are sourced from non-GMOhemp, grown in Colorado. The ingredients are vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and suitable for all kinds of dogs and their health conditions.
FabCBD’s Dog Treats: Our Editor’s Choice
3mg/treat; 150mg in all (50 treats/packet)
– Calm & Cool(Relieves Anxiety; peanut butter- and apple-flavored): Oats, peanut butter, apples, tapioca syrup, coconut oil, passionflower, chamomile, organically grown hemp extracts (No corn, wheat, or soy)
– Skin & Coat (Improves skin and coat health; salmon-flavored): Oats, salmon, flaxseed, tapioca syrup, coconut oil, salmon oil, organically grown hemp extracts(No corn, wheat, or soy)
– Active Immune (Enhances immunity to fight against seasonal allergies, as well as against pain and inflammation; chicken-flavored): Oats, chicken, flaxseed, tapioca syrup, bone broth, coconut oil, turmeric, milk thistle extract, organically grown hemp extracts(No corn, wheat, or soy)
- Hemp source:
- Extract type:
Broad-Spectrum CBD Blend
- Lab tests:
30-day money back
Single pack of any type: $34 ($0.23/mg)
Bundle of 3 (one of each type): $87 ($0.19/mg)
- Pros & Cons:
|1.||Broad-spectrum CBD blend, extracted from 100% organically grown hemp in Colorado with the help of a process called chromatography. Vegan-friendly, gluten-free ingredients; dog-friendly flavors from natural ingredients||No CBD isolates that may be preferred by some|
|2.||Transparent business practices, real customer reviews, third-party lab reports (by ProVerde Laboratories) made public on the website||Only sold online|
|3.||Easy to dose, with each treat containing 3mg CBD. The website also provides a guide on how to dose your pets according to weight.||Coconut oil is present. Some dogs may be allergic to its effects.|
|4.||Free shipping in the US (orders worth over $89); full refund if returned within 30days of purchase||The brand website doesn’t provide the actual number of treats present in each packet. We had to call up the customer care service to find out. This information should have been readily available on the site.|
|5.||FabCBD offers a special kind of dog treats, specially made to improve the quality of your pet’s Skin & Coat, something that most others don’t provide.||We wish there were more options in flavors. The brand has only chicken, salmon, and peanut butter variants in flavors.|
HolistaPet as a Brand
HolistaPet is one of the few brands that sell CBD products only for animals. Since they have focused their attention entirely on making and selling CBD products for dogs, cats, and horses, their products are very reliable.
Holistapet’s CBD treats for dogs are organic, vegan-friendly, and gluten- and dairy-free. While their lab reports are posted on their website too, the CBD dosage calculation is only available for tinctures, and not the treats. However, one can follow a general idea of CBD edibles to get an estimate on the dosage.
They also offer free shipping, irrespective of how big or small your order may be and deliver it within 3 – 5 days of placing the order.
Although they mention “Full-spectrum CBD” on their website’s dog treats pages, the extracts are nothing more than broad-spectrum as they do not contain THC.
As part of its customer rewards program, the brand also offers $2 discount coupons for each review done on products purchased by customers.
HolistaPet: Closer to Your Pet’s Heart& Easy on Your Pocket
5mg CBD/treat; 150mg in all (30 treats/packet)
– Stress & Anxiety Relief (Green apple & peanut butter flavor): L-Theanine, chamomile, hemp seed powder, CBD oil, peanut butter, organic applesauce, brown rice flour, molasses, cinnamon, coconut oil
– Joint & Mobility Care (Pumpkin spice & cinnamon flavor): Turmeric root, Boswellia, hemp seed powder, CBD oil, pumpkin puree, brown rice flour, molasses, cinnamon, coconut oil
– Heart & Immune Care (Blueberry &sweet potato flavor): Blueberries, flaxseed, hemp seed powder, CBD oil, sweet potatoes, rolled o, brown rice flour, molasses, cinnamon, coconut oil
- Hemp source:
- Extract type:
Full-Spectrum CBD Blend
- Lab tests:
pH Solutions, LLC
30-day full-refund for products returned in at least 70% full condition
Single pack: $24.95 ($0.16/mg)
Bundle of 3 (all of any one time): $67.36 ($0.15/mg)
- Pros & Cons:
|1.||Full- (in effect, broad-) spectrum CBD blend (NO THC), extracted from 100% organically grown, industrial hemp, cultivated in Colorado. Vegan-friendly, dairy-free, gluten-free ingredients||No CBD isolates|
|2.||Free shipping across the US, no questions asked||Ships only within the US|
|3.||Rewards program offers an added impetus to customers||Only recommended for dogs, cats, and rabbits; no other animals|
|4.||Easy to administer these wonderfully flavored treats||Very little research-based proof available on the veracity of the brand’s claims|
CbdMD as Brand
CbdMD is known for its safe, high-quality, effective, and affordable road-spectrum products. Running a very transparent operation, cbdMD sticks to the cannabis farming practices set by the US federal government. It also abides by the US regulations of CBD production, ensuring to make its third-party lab tests public.
Their products are organic, vegan, and gluten-free. The CBD dog treats are made from a CBD formulation that is simply CBD isolates mixed separately in other hemp-based cannabinoids and dog-friendly ingredients.
CbdMD: Higher Potency Variants at Best Prices
5mg/treat (150mg), 10mg/treat (300mg), and 20mg/treat (600mg), with each pack containing 30 treats.
– Vegetable Oil,
– Cultured rice flour,
– Cannabidiol (CBD), and
- Hemp source:
- Extract type:
Broad-Spectrum CBD blend
- Lab tests:
CbdMD’sproducts are tested by independent laboratory SCLabs, which is a third-party (ISO-certified) laboratory.
Lab reports available on their brand website under:
About à Our Process à CBD Oil Testing à View Our Third-Party Lab Results.
150mg(5mg/treat): $24.99 ($0.17/mg)
300mg(10mg/treat): $34.99 ($0.12/mg)
600mg(20mg/treat): $64.99 ($0.11/mg)
- Pros & Cons:
|1.||Three healthy potency variants in CBD Dog Treats for dogs with different requirements and weights. (5mg – 20mg per treat)||Very little information on the brand, customer service hours, and the founders.|
|2.||Thorough lab test reports, citing cannabinoid profile, safety profile||Third-party lab tests need to be updated more often|
|3.||THC-free, vegan, organic, and gluten-free ingredients||No CBD isolates|
|4.||Affordable||Only sold online|
|5.||Free shipping across the US; delivers in parts of Europe; 30-day money-back guarantee||Occasional shipping delays|
HonestPaws CBD as brand
Honest Paws is one of the few CBD brands that deal specifically with designing and making products for dogs and other pets.
Aimed at curing pet animals’ seasonal allergies, anxiety issues, skin issues, and aging joints and inflammation, Honest Paws makes and sells all-natural, non-GMO, soy-free, lab-tested CBD products, including dog treats.
Like HolistaPet, Honest Paws also deals specifically with pet CBD products and has been one of the preferred dog-treat brands among dog-lovers and dog-owners for quite some time, until some other brands took to this area of CBD products, making some at par and some even better products.
Their experience and expertise in making pet-friendly products have been tried and tested by a large number of dog-owners across the US.
They offer free shipping for orders above $40.Aiming to provide 1 million pet owners and their pets more precious time together in a healthier, happier way, the brand promises a 30-day money-back guarantee on all its products, no questions asked.
While they say their products are lab-tested, one must buy their product to view the lab reports. They normally offer 3 variants, each in different flavors and for different purposes – Calming bites (for stress and anxiety issues) in roasted peanut butter flavor, Relief bites (for inflammation and pain in joints and muscles) in turmeric flavor, and Restore bites (for fighting allergies and improving skin and coat health) in coconut flavor. Occasionally, they also offer limited edition variants, like Calming bites in pumpkin spice flavor that help in treating digestive issues(like diarrhea, vomiting, and constipation), removing intestinal worms, weight management, and enhancing your dog’s coat.
HonestPaws: Addressing each issue with a different flavor
- Potency:5mg/treat, with 30 dog treats in each packet
– Organic full-spectrum hemp with naturally occurring CBD,
– Organic oats,
– Organic barley,
– Organic peanut butter,
– Organic coconut oil,
– Human-grade eggs,
– Organic turmeric (Relief Bites with Tasty Turmeric Flavor)
– Organic Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spice, & Whole dried eggs (Limited Edition Pumpkin Spice)
– Organic coconut (Restore Bites with Creamy Coconut Flavor)
The unspecified ingredients are present in all the 4 variants, including Calming Bites with Roasted Peanut Butter Flavor.
- Hemp source:
- Extract type:
Full-spectrum CBD blend
- Lab tests:
DB Labs tests the brand’s dog bites and chews. They are available on the product pages as well as Certificates of Analysis on the website footer.
30-day money-back guarantee if dissatisfied with products
Bundles are in three variants depending on purposes:
– Relaxation bundle (Purity CBD tincture + Calming CBD dog treats): $59.95 – $139.95
– High Impact Health Bundle (Purity CBD tincture + Relief CBD dog treats): $59.95 – $139.95
– Forever Young Bundle (Purity CBD tincture + Restore CBD dog bites): $59.95 – $139.95
All these types of dog treats are available in three more variants as per body weight – small, medium, and large dogs, hence the price range.]
- Pros & Cons:
|1.||Ample variants in variants for different conditions – different ingredients and flavors; products are soy-free, gluten-free, and free of contaminants and pesticides||Very little information on the brand, customer service hours, and practices on their website.|
|2.||Products sourced from non-GMO, organically grown, industrial hemp, cultivated in Oregon, US||Third-party lab tests need to be updated more often|
|3.||Lab-tested products, with test reports posted on site. For a specific batch, you need to scan the QR code on the product label and fetch the detailed report.||Some negative reviews from users were noticeable, like issues that weren’t successfully dealt with CBD. Another review read that the treats were too hard for their dogs. They do have softer chews available for such animals.|
|4.||Full-spectrum CBD for a complete entourage effect for your fur babies||Even the slightest amount of THC cab have severe reactions on your pets; No broad-spectrum CBD products available|
|5.||Affordable||A bit expensive for some, especially larger dogs|
|6.||Free shipping across the US for orders above $40;30-day money-back guarantee if dissatisfied with products||Only sold online|
Hemp Bombs as a Brand
Hemp Bombs is usually known for the brand’s wide variety of CBD products and jazzy packaging. Nonetheless, this brand produces some of the safest, most effective, and comparatively affordable CBD products.
While they do make and sell pet CBD products, they don’t have much of a line of products as far as dog treats are concerned. In fact, they mostly sell CBD oil tinctures for pets. They have only one variant in dog biscuits, which comes in a small pack of 8 biscuits, each containing 10mg of CBD, i.e. containing a total of 80mg per packet.
While these have been generally found to be effective, we can only wish they brought out more options in pet products, especially for man’s best friend. After all, most American households have a dog or two, or even many, these days.
Despite these issues, the reason we have included this CBD brand is that Hemp Bombs, unlike many other CBD brands out there, makes safe, effective, and affordable CBD products for pets.
Hemp Bombs offer free shipping for all states across the US for all orders above $75.
10mg/biscuit. They don’t make CBD dog treats
– Cannabidiol (CBD)
– Pea Flour
– Chicken Meal
– Pork Meal
– Pea Protein
– Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols)
– Dried Whey
– Dicalcium Phosphate
– Natural Flavors
– Added Color (FD&C Red 40, FD&C Yellow 5,FD&C Yellow 6, FD&C Blue 1)
– Algae Meal
– Vitamin A Supplement
– Vitamin D3 Supplement
– Vitamin E Supplement
– Zinc Sulfate
– Ferrous Sulfate
– Calcium Pantothenate
– Riboflavin Supplement
– Copper Sulfate
– Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
– Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Sulfate
– Zinc Proteinate
– Manganese Proteinate
– Copper Proteinate
– Calcium Iodate
– Cobalt Carbonate
– Folic Acid
– Sodium Selenite
– Vitamin B12 Supplement
– Rosemary Extract (mixed in tocopherols to preserve)
– Green Tea Extract
- Hemp source:
- Extract type:
Broad-spectrum CBD blend
- Lab tests:
Lab tests for their pet products are done by Desert Valley Testing, a third-party laboratory. Their reports can be found under the drop-down menu under the Tab LEARN on the brand’s website header as well as on their product page as “Tested by Independent Labs”.
The brand offers a 30-day money-back guarantee if the user is dissatisfied with the effects. But this offer applies only if you buy directly from their website https://hempbombs.com, and not from a local store or third-party website.
$14.99, i.e. $0.19
- Pros & Cons:
|1.||Effective, safe, and lab-tested products, sourced from European Union||Lack of options in dog treats|
|2.||Value for money||Expensive for some|
|3.||Tested for cannabinoid and safety profiles by independent labs||Not entirely natural or organic|
|4.||Dog-friendly ingredients, with no side effects; user reviews mention of help with their dog’s arthritis issues||Not much information regarding the brand, the founders, or their extraction process is available|
|5.||Attractive packaging, effective products, no side effects, eye on catering to all CBD needs of people||No vegan or gluten-free options in CBD products for dogs|
Dosing of CBD Dog Treats: Method of Use & CBD Dosage
Like humans, CBD dosage for dogs follows the same logic, with the difference that unlike humans, animals need much less amount of this cannabinoid to work.
As humans, there is no “one-dose-suits-all” rule with CBD. As the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved CBD, there is also no specific dosing chart like other drugs. In its absence, we’re left with the usual trial and error method of finding the right dosage.
To help users, CBD brands selling dog products recommend an approximate dosage for small, medium, and large dogs. For instance, most brands recommend 0.1 – 0.2mg CBD for every pound in weight of your dog. So, for a dog weighing 25 pounds, you can give approximately 4.5mg – 5mg of CBD.
Nonetheless, any food supplement or drug carries the risk of an adverse or allergic reaction. One can never know until it has been used on anyone – human or animal. With CBD, it is always best to:
- Consult your pet’s veterinarian
- Start low, go slow