Can CBD help in treating cancer? This is a question that not only CBD users are asking, but also the scientists.
A lot of scientists are studying the role cannabinoids play in treating cancer. While there is substantial proof that a little bit of THC can kill cancerous cells without having too much of a mind-altering effect, research on CBD’s role in this area is few.
The initial studies do, however, reveal that this non-psychoactive cannabinoid (CBD) does play a positive role in slowing down the growth of cancer cells. In fact, both CBD and THC (two very different cannabinoids having contrasting effects on the body) have this effect.
However, continued studies on CBD have shown that it is more effective in fighting the pain and inflammation associated with the disease. It also fights anxiety, depression, nausea, and sleep disorders –issues that normally plague people with life-threatening diseases, like cancer.
Naturally, when around 40% of the world’s population suffers from cancer in some form or another, people often turn to alternative methods to overcome their pain and anguish, ones that DO NOT come with severe side effects like those of pharmaceuticals drugs.
However, one should be wary about fake CBD oils and life-threatening concoctions hurled at vulnerable and gullible consumers by various companies in the garb of “GENUINE CBD OILS!”
“The Cannabis Radar” continually strives to bring to you – our readers – only the best quality and the most reliable brands of CBD oils that can help supplement your cancer treatment with safe, natural and organic alternatives.
- 1 Best CBD Oils For Cancer: Making The List
- 2 Best CBD Oils For Cancer: TCR’s List of Selected Brands
- 3 How does CBD oil work for cancer?
- 4 What’s the CBD dosage for cancer patients?
- 5 Pharmaceutical drugs vs CBD for Cancer treatment
- 6 Is it legal to purchase CBD oil for cancer treatment?
Best CBD Oils For Cancer: Making The List
To make sure we do right by our readers, especially those suffering from cancer and looking for natural alternatives to overcome the pain, inflammation, and nausea, and stabilize their sleep and diet, we have reviewed a lot of brands of CBD oils to come with this “Review-cum-Top Best” list for cancer patients.
While our review board continually search for good-quality brands and keep themselves abreast with the changes in their formulation and advancements in the technology employed by these companies to grow the hemp, as well as to extract and produce CBD oils and products, we conduct annual reviews of the brands to find out which products are best suited for which condition.
This is done to update our readers about which brands are doing more work in which areas and how they can help them combat diseases and conditions that trouble the common man.
Although we don’t claim that our list is the ultimate representative of the only best brands available in the market (there certainly are others), we can vouch for these brands being the best for the given condition or disease.
To create this particular list, our reviewers have pored over a large number of user reviews posted on different product websites and blogs, as well as reached out to over 9,000 readers and direct subscribers to get their opinion regarding all the major brands in the market. Of them, over 5,000 have responded to our survey.
With an eye on quality, safety, and effectiveness, and the other the best value for money, our list is by far the most neutral and honest compared to others out there.
Brand Comparison Parameters:
- Potency: This is what determines the basic effectiveness of a CBD oil product. The logic is: “Higher the potency, faster and more effective the product”. For cancer pain and inflammation, one would require higher concentrations of CBD in the blend, i.e. a formulation with high levels of CBD per milliliter.
- Ingredients: The ingredients of CBD oil, including the carrier oils, essential oils, terpenes, flavonoids, and other cannabinoids, must be:
- Optimized for pain relief, besides having anti-inflammatory and sleep-promoting effects
- Extracted from natural sources, preferably organically grown ones
- Optimized to enhance CBD’s potency
- Devoid of harmful chemicals or high levels of psychoactive substances
- Hemp source: The best quality hemp strains are grown on regulated farmlands of the US and parts of Europe. This ensures that the hemp:
- Does not contain high levels of THC, harmful chemicals, or other contaminants
- Contains health-promoting ingredients that are naturally grown
- Are safe for consumption
- Contains high levels of CBD and all the good terpenes, essential oils, plant nutrients, and omega fats
- Extract type: CBD oils are available in three types of extracts – full-spectrum (i.e. whole-plant extract), broad-spectrum (i.e. devoid of THC) and isolates (i.e. devoid of any plant material except pure CBD). Although it’s completely on the user to select a type that suits his or her requirement the best, certain extracts work best for some specific conditions.
- Lab test: We have chosen only those brands that subject their products to third-party lab testing, and make them public, preferably through their website.
- Guarantee: Brands, confident of their products’ effectiveness, offer “100% satisfaction” and “100% money-back” guarantees to their customers. This builds trust among consumers at large.
- Price: Although most good quality CBD products are expensive, the price is not always an indication of their quality. TCR’s lists introduce you to only those brands that offer you the best value for money.
- Brand reputation: Established brands are more reliable for two reasons:
- Image building depends on good user reviews, awards, and customer loyalty. They would do everything in their power to maintain that, which includes continuous improvement of their products.
- Brands that are doing business for a longer period or are doing well in the market, are doing so because of their continued efforts to better their formulation through years of experimentation and testing, including Certificate of Analysis by independent labs.
Note that, no herbs, not even CBD oil, can cure cancer. It can, however, help reduce some of its symptoms and some side effects of cancer treatment (especially chemotherapy). So, if there is any way CBD can help or has helped cancer patients, using these products will offer you the most possible relief.
We meticulously studied user experiences online as well as the responses to our survey, and realized that the different ways these CBD oils have helped these cancer patients were:
- Reducing the excruciating pain associated with cancer
- Reducing the pain associated with chemotherapy
- Reducing inflammation associated with certain types of cancer
- Healing effect on other organs ailing them, making them suffer a little less
- Helping patients overcome nausea and vomiting that often occurs among cancer patients under treatment
- Helping these patients sleep a bit better
- Improving appetite, regulating their diet a little better, enabling them to eat better
- Cancer is a life-threatening disease that takes a toll on people’s minds. Anxiety and depression are unavoidable among such patients. CBD oils were able to fight these mental issues, calming their nerves and helping them to spend some happy moments with their family and friends.
Below, we’ve cited some of the responses about CBD’s effects on cancer patients that we have been able to find online:
Best CBD Oils For Cancer: TCR’s List of Selected Brands
- NuLeaf Naturals
- Hemp Bombs
- Joy Organics
Fab CBD as a Brand
Within a short period, a small company, like FabCBD, has created a niche for itself in the ever-growing CBD industry and built a large base of loyal customers with its best-quality, homegrown hemp-derived CBD oil extracted with the help of CO2 method.
Based firmly on the principles of the American federal regulations, FabCBD aims at reaching out to the masses, with its range of potent, safe, and effective CBD products.
They make the CoAs of their product openly viewable on their website, complete with their cannabinoid profiles, safety profiles, and the entire composition of their products. FabCBD’s products are 100% organic, pesticide-free, solvent-free, and vegan-friendly, sourced from hemp grown in Colorado.
The brand sells only full-spectrum CBD oils, which contain less than the permitted levels of THC (<0.3% by weight), making them safe, yet offering the entourage effect.
FabCBD’s CBD oils were seen to be an overall best for cancer patients who suffer from different kinds of symptoms owing to the disease as well as its treatment, like pain, inflammation, nausea, vomiting, sleeplessness, anxiety, lack of appetite, etc.
The brand also maintains a world-class customer support service and an easy-to-navigate website.
FabCBD’s CBD Oil – Overall Best in the Market
Their best options for combatting pain and inflammation associated with cancer are 1200mg and 2400mg. The brand also sells CBD oils of lesser concentrations.
The ingredients of their CBD oils are:
- Full-spectrum CBD blend extracted from organically grown hemp extracts
- Some terpenes
- Coconut-based medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) (carrier oil)
Third-party lab ProVerde Laboratories conducts regular tests of the brand’s products, the reports of which are available on the brand website’s footer.
Full-spectrum CBD blend
Pros & cons:
|1.||Full-spectrum CBD blend (<0.3% THC) extracted from 100% organic Colorado-grown hemp. Vegan-friendly ingredients; terpene-based flavorings||No CBD isolate oils, not really a disadvantage when it comes to treating cancer patients|
|2.||Transparent business operation, real customer reviews, independent lab reports (by ProVerde Laboratories) made public on the website||Only sold online|
|3.||Wide range of potency options (150mg – 2400mg)||Carrier oil (MCT) may be unsuitable for people with coconut allergies|
|4.||Free shipping in the US (orders worth over $89); full refund if returned within 30days of purchase||Terpenes used to create flavors not specified for each oil|
1200mg – $99 ($0.08/mg)
2400mg – $129 ($0.05/mg)
NuLeaf Naturals as a Brand
A highly trusted American hemp brand, NuLeaf Naturals’ produces safe, effective, organic, and lab-tested products. Although their products only include a full-spectrum CBD blend with only one potency variant, we can confidently say that the CBD oils contain a healthy quantity of cannabinoids, terpenes, essential oils, and other plant nutrients, extracted with the help of CO2 and some very advanced engineering procedures.
NuLeaf’s CBD oils are very effective in providing relief to cancer patients. they are quite fast-acting and doesn’t have the risk of any causing any side effects, like conventional drugs.
NuLeaf Naturals –Focused on the Healing Powers of Full-Spectrum CBD Oils
They sell CBD oils of only one potency variant in different volumes – 240mg (5ml), 725mg (15ml), 1450mg (30ml), 2425mg (50ml), & 4850mg (100ml). The potency remains approximately 48mg/ml.
- Full-spectrum CBD-rich hemp extract
- Organic hempseed oil
Independent lab ProVerde Laboratory tested all of NuLeaf’s products, the reports of which are available on each of the product pages and the FAQ page of the brand’s website.
30-day full-refund on sealed products
Pros & cons:
|1.||Its products are sourced from 100% organic, whole-plant extracts; contain vitamins, trace minerals, and omega fats derived from hemp||No money-back guarantee on used or tested CBD oils|
|2.||Sells both online & offline||No potency options available|
|3.||No additives or preservatives present||No options in flavors|
|4.||Ships to over 40 nations worldwide||Sells only CBD oils, no other products|
|5.||Employs a CO2 extraction method in producing the CBD blend||Products considered a tad bit expensive by many users|
5 ml – 100ml: $38 – $439 ($0.09/mg – $0.16/mg)
CbdMD as a Brand
CbdMD promises safe, high-quality, effective, affordable, and broad-spectrum CBD products. Operating in accordance with the US federal regulations of cannabis farming and CBD production, the brand runs a very transparent business and makes its certificates of analysis of its products public.
Their lab-tested products are vegan, organic, and gluten-free. The brand’s CBD formulation is specifically CBD isolates, mixed in different terpenes and carrier oils – nothing more!
The CBD oils, though a bit slow on the uptake, are quite effective in curbing nausea and pain caused by cancer and its treatment.
CbdMD CBD Oils –Most Potent CBD Oil For Cancer
- 30ml bottles – 300mg, 750mg, 1500mg, 3000mg, 5000mg, &7500mg CBD Strengths [3000mg, 5000mg, &7500mg were seen as the best suited for cancer patients having multiple and severe symptoms].
- 60ml bottles – 1000mg &1500mg CBD Strengths [not suitable for pain and inflammation; may be adequate for other symptoms]
- PM CBD – 30 ml bottle of 500mg Sleep Aid [may help, although users with cancer did not seem to have tried this option]
CBD & coconut oil-derived MCT oil
All products tested by independent laboratory SCLabs.
Lab reports available on their brand website under:
Hybrid broad-spectrum CBD blend
Pros & cons:
|1.||Sufficient CBD potency variants in tinctures for cancer; products are vegan, organic, and gluten-free||Users with coconut allergies may face problems with their carrier oil|
|2.||Thorough lab test reports, citing cannabinoid profile, the safety profile||Difficult-to-navigate website, with little information on the brand, customer service hours, and the founders.|
|3.||Affordable||Only sold online|
|4.||Free shipping across the US; delivers in parts of Europe; 30-day money-back guarantee||Shipping delays|
- 30ml bottles: $29.99 – $339.99, i.e. $0.05/mg – $0.10/mg
- 60ml bottles: $74.99 – $99.99, i.e., $0.07/mg
- PM CBD: $44.99, i.e. $0.09/mg
Hemp Bombs as a Brand
Hemp Bombs sells a large variety of CBD products. Their CBD oils are available in 5 flavors and 6 different strengths. They are also big on their distributor and affiliate programs as well as their jazzy packaging. Their website is quite colorful, vibrant, and user-friendly.
It may seem to some that the brand has diversified its attention over too many products. But, the fact remains that its broad-spectrum CBD oils are of good quality and have been successful in combating the symptoms of cancer and overcoming the side effects of its treatment.
Hemp Bombs CBD oils – Quality product in good packaging
125mg, 300mg, 600mg, 1000mg, 2000mg, and 4000mg. The 2000mg and 4000mg variants are good for treating the conditions associated with cancer, like pain and inflammation. For nausea or sleeplessness, one can try the lower strengths of CBD.
- Hemp-based CBD blend
- MCT Oil
- Grape Seed Oil
- Hempseed Oil
- Natural & Artificial Flavoring
ACS Laboratory has tested all their products, which they have testified in their reports. These reports are available under the “Learn” tab on the brand’s website header.
30-day money-back guarantee, if not satisfied with products, as long as the products are purchased directly from the brand website.
Broad-spectrum CBD blend
Pros & cons:
|1.||THC-free||Not completely natural or organic|
|2.||Affordable||Not vegan or gluten-free|
|3.||Tested by an independent lab||Not much information on the brand, the founders, their extraction process, etc.|
|4.||Special discounts for senior citizens & war veterans||Too many options; high concentration variants aren’t always effective. If taken in high volume, it may make the patients groggy|
|5.||30-day full-refund guarantee||Artificial flavors, too strong aromas|
2000mg – $169.99 ($0.08/mg)
4000mg – $299.99 (0.07/mg)
Overall Range: $24.99 – $299.99 ($0.07/mg – $0.2/mg)
Joy Organics as a Brand
The fifth best brand of CBD oil for cancer treatment is Joy Organics. The brand is known for its potent and high quality broad-spectrum, 100% organic CBD oil tinctures.
Its products are THC-free, gluten-free, pesticide-free, and completely natural. The brand uses only natural flavoring, derived from terpenes and essential oils.
The CBD oils are also quite budget-friendly. However, they still lack in potency range and are not as adept in providing relief to the typical conditions associated with cancer. The reason for that is that its highest concentration variant – 1500mg – does not work on most people or at least takes a while longer to take effect.
Nonetheless, the effects are certainly there. If you can be patient and bear the agony a little while longer or take it higher doses, it works better. Since, this particular CBD blend is completely devoid of THC, containing a lot of the natural plant nutrients of hemp, it works safely and quite effectively for cancer patients.
Joy Organics– Highest quality Broad-Spectrum CBD oil
250 mg – 1500mg.
- CBD extracted from hemp
- Organic, extra-virgin olive oil/organic MCT (carrier oils)
- Organic essential oils, like Humulene, Myrcene, and β‑Caryophyllene (flavored variants)
Their Lab Result page contains the reports of tests conducted by third-party lab PIXIS Labs as well as the company’s in-house chemists. The lab reports are available on their product pages as well as under the “Learn” tab on their website header. For the detailed report, however, one must purchase a product, scan the QR code and fetch the exact report.
Pros & cons:
|1.||High quality, organic & lab-tested||Joy Organics gives the impression that it produces its products. However, the products are made by Folium Biosciences.|
|2.||THC-free||Small amounts of THC can sometimes be good.|
|3.||Value for money||Expensive for many|
|4.||Good range of flavors||The purpose of posting lab test reports conducted by their own chemists is unclear|
1500mg – $134.95 ($0.14/mg)
Range: $34.95 – $134.95, i.e., $0.09/mg – $0.14/mg.
How does CBD oil work for cancer?
CBD works in the same way on the body, irrespective of which condition you’re treating. That is because it binds with the endocannabinoid receptors present in the brain and other parts of the body systemically to ease the problems plaguing the individual user’s body and mind.
Think of it like this: Cannabinoids knock on the central control system’s door, asks for entry and interaction. When it accomplishes that, it spreads through the system’s channels to reach all parts of the body. This way, it addresses all issues within the human physical system, including all its organs, to rectify or chemically alter the way your body responds to the current internal condition/environment.
We have earlier discussed how CBD helps cancer patients, including:
- Relieving pain,
- Lowering inflammation,
- Easing anxiety and depression,
- Promoting sleep,
- Inhibiting nausea and vomiting,
- Inducing a healthy appetite.
What’s the CBD dosage for cancer patients?
While there is some indication that both THC and CBD have some benefits for cancer treatment, they mostly address the symptoms of cancer and the side effects of its treatment and nothing more.
There is simply no evidence to indicate that cannabinoids can cure cancer.
When it comes to CBD dosage for treating these conditions associated with cancer, it is difficult to give an exact dosage. Unlike pharmaceutical drugs, phytonutrients (cannabinoids, too, are plant extracts that have health benefits) can’t be restricted to exact dosages. Plant extracts, especially cannabinoids, behave quite differently with the human body (so do animal constitutions).
CBD’s behavior on cancer patients depends on several factors, like:
- Bodyweight of the user
- The physical condition of the user, irrespective of the cancer
- Unique chemical composition of the endocannabinoid system of the user
- The concentration of the CBD in the extract
- The concentration of the THC in the extract, besides the other cannabinoids, essential oils, terpenes, omega acids, minerals, etc.
- The intended effect – the intensity of the condition, like neuropathic pain, etc. and the extent of the CBD’s effect expected.
However, the requirement would be a little higher than it generally is for conditions like only anxiety or nausea. This is because the overall issues associated with cancer include more extreme issues like sleeplessness, chronic neuropathic pain, and severe and chronic inflammation.
Besides, THC’s presence in CBD oil makes it a more potent treatment agent in treating these very severe conditions that are prevalent in cancer patients. So, whole-plant extracts, i.e. full-spectrum extracts, are considered as better options for cancer treatment.
Nonetheless, every responsible brand and your doctor will always advise you to start low and go slow in order to find the exact dosage for you.
Pharmaceutical drugs vs CBD for Cancer treatment
CBD has fewer side effects compared to pharmaceutical medications. It can even help counter the ill-effects of cancer treatment (including procedures, like chemotherapy, and other cancer drugs).
However, unlike pharmaceutical drugs, CBD’s effects on the body (good or bad) are unpredictable. This is due to two reasons:
- Not many studies have been done on the effects and side effects of CBD on cancer patients. The ones that have been done are not very convincing or conclusive.
- CBD is a cannabinoid and a plant material. This means its behavior can never be estimated exactly. Its behavior differs from person to person, from condition to condition, from time to time (depending on the present condition of the user, i.e. the chemical balance of the endocannabinoid system, and that of the other conditions apart from the condition being treated.
A person’s chemical balance within the endocannabinoid system changes from time to time, quite like a person’s blood contents change after coming in contact with a foreign entity.
Besides, a person may have more than one physical issue at any given time. For instance, a person can have a cold and an upset stomach, and choose to treat only the stomach issue, because it poses more of a problem in carrying out his normal life activities.
Is it legal to purchase CBD oil for cancer treatment?
CBD is legal across all 50 states of America as long as the extract is derived from hemp, a specific strain of cannabis Sativa plants that do not contain more than 0.3% THC (by weight). CBD has been legalized under this condition to restrict the ill effects of this natural extract, which mostly comprises THC’s mind-altering “high” that we generally associate with marijuana.