Best CBD Oils for
Anxiety & Depression
Cannabidiol (CBD) is well known for its antidepressant and anxiolytic properties. This natural chemical compound that’s found in cannabis plants, particularly in high levels in different strains of hemp, has gained much popularity over the years.
With the legalization of hemp plantation and its use thereafter, this CBD-rich source is widely being accepted by the federal government, as well as by various other authorities as a safe substance.
It is not only safe to ingest, put under the tongue, or apply on your skin, but it also been scientifically proven to have several health benefits. Today, it’s considered as a safe alternative to conventional medication for the treatment of various ailments, including the most prevalent mental issues, like anxiety and depression, which often wreak havoc on the lives of most modern-day American families.
Keeping in mind the welfare of our readers, and all users and patients in general, we have come up with a list of brands that make the safest and the most effective CBD oils currently available in the market.
We don’t claim that there are no other good brands or products out there. But, we would like to explain why our list of “Best CBD Oils for Anxiety” truly does justice to our users.
To create this list, we sought the opinion of over 9,000 email subscribers, our readers as well as user reviews posted on different product websites and blogs. Our team of testers also tested almost 50 individual brands of CBD oils to make sure we are doing right by our readers.
We took into consideration the votes garnered from over 5,000 users as well as our own experiences with the products to create this list.
We also took into consideration what value the users would get for their money on buying each of these products. All in all, we took note of a range of factors before creating this list.
Factors we looked at to judge each CBD oil product
The factors we looked at to evaluate, analyze and narrow down our list are:
- Potency: The higher the potency, the faster it acts. This is pretty much a no-brainer. However, with issues like anxiety and depression, a little can go a long way. We have tried to find the best CBD oil potencies that render the best possible effect for a person suffering from these issues.
- Product Ingredients: This is perhaps one of the most important factors while gauging a CBD product. For one, natural products, particularly non-GMO ones, should be preferred. Secondly, not only should the CBD be extracted from organically grown cannabis plants, other ingredients, like carrier oils, flavorings, etc., should also be naturally sourced. Besides, these ingredients should be able to enhance CBD’s productivity, not hinder its effects. Moreover, CBD oil shouldn’t contain any contaminants or harmful chemicals, including high levels of THC (delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol).
- Hemp cultivation: Trust brands that source their hemp from regulated farmlands, especially in the US or parts of Europe, where hemp cultivation is regulated.
- Extract Type: There are broadly three types of CBD blends – full-spectrum, broad-spectrum and isolates. While their selection is entirely a matter of personal choice, you must know what each offers and whether one will benefit you more than the other. Full-spectrum oils contain all the natural components of hemp plants in their original proportions. Industrial hemp has been legalized under the condition that the THC levels remain within 0.3% by weight of the total formulation. However, if you’re afraid you might test positive on a drug test or are worried about side effects due to THC’s presence, you can choose between CBD isolates (which contain only CBD and no other plant material) or broad-spectrum CBD oil (which contains the same components as a full-spectrum CBD oil, except-THC).
- Lab tests: Third-party or independent laboratories would vouch for the authenticity, potency, efficiency, and safety of the products. Trust brands that make their CoAs public (especially by posting them on their brand website or product pages).
- Guarantees: People rely on brands that generate trust and express confidence in their products. This is usually done by promises of “100% satisfaction guaranteed” or “money-back” guarantees. While discounts are a certain lure, you should trust discount options posted on unbiased sites. Look at products that others vouch for or have experience with. This is a guarantee in itself.
- Price: Good quality CBD oils are indeed expensive. However, not all expensive CBD oils are of good quality. Our list gives you only those options that offer the best value for money.
- Brand reputation: Brand reputation, though not always a factor, does influence our trust. This is because no reputed brand would want to degrade its image by selling low-quality products. Besides, brands carrying out successful businesses will have developed their proprietary formulation after years of experimentation.
- Personal experience: This is the part where TCR has actively played a part in creating this list. To verify our findings elsewhere, we tested the products ourselves to be sure.
The Best CBD Oils
for Anxiety & Depression
#1 Fab CBD
A comparatively small company, FABCBD has been successful in creating its niche in the competitive CBD industry. The company has, within a short period, garnered a large and loyal customer base with its moderately wide range of potent, yet safe, effective, and high-quality CBD oils.
While the company offers a considerably wide range of options in flavors and potencies, the company maintains adequate transparency in its practices – farming, lab testing, branding, customer support, customer feedback, etc.
Besides the Natural flavor, the brand offers 4 more options – mint, citrus, vanilla and berry.
Sourced from organically grown hemp, cultivated locally in Colorado, they ensure all their ingredients are GMO-free, vegan-friendly and suitable for use by people with all kinds of health conditions.
For a company so young, FABCBD has made its mark on the industry and the CBD market with their commitment to quality, regulations, and their safe and potent products. Besides, the customer support provided by the brand is also world-class, with users rarely missing their presence whenever they need it.
#2 Joy Organics
If you’re looking for CBD oils with absolutely no THC, then Joy Organics’ THC-free broad-spectrum CBD Oil Tinctures may be what you need. They are gluten-free, sourced from regulated hemp farmlands, and contain no harsh chemicals.
The quality of all their CBD tinctures is quite high and their prices are pretty decent. They offer CBD oils in 4 pretty high potencies and 4 flavors. Their flavors are derived from natural terpenes and essential oils.
If you’re looking for a CBD Isolate Oil, then this is the best option for you. However, CBDistillerydoes offer a range of both full-spectrum and isolate CBD oils in a variety of potencies, ranging from 150mg to 2500mg. All their products are lab-tested.
However, the lab test reports available on their product page do not contain their safety profiles. To get them, you must buy their product to scan the QR code and fetch the details.
While their products are of good quality, there may be issues with their potency levels, even though they offer high concentration options.
Information regarding their farming, extraction, and processing is pretty vague. But, all their products seem quite safe, as they are certified by the US Hemp Authority.
cbdMD is a transparent brand with a lot of helpful information on CBD and the use of their products available on their blog.
They provide quality CBD products at affordable prices, with a 30-day money-back guarantee if a customer isn’t satisfied with their product, assuring customers of their commitment to providing safe and quality products. They also promise free shipping for all orders across the US
Their focus on quality control is commendable, but their third-party lab test reports can be quite confusing. There is only one CoA across the entire website.
While their customer service is usually good, we are unsure about the exact timings of their availability.
#5 NuLeaf Naturals
NuLeaf Naturals is one of the most reliable American hemp companies that produce quality CBD oils. Their products comprise all-natural, lab-tested, organic CBD oils and extracts.
Their full-spectrum blend of CBD oils is packed with cannabinoids, terpenes, essential oils, and other plant nutrients that are extracted with the help of CO2 and other advanced engineering processes. The extracts are sourced from hemp grown using organic and sustainable farming practices and contain no additives or preservatives.
CBDPure is a family-managed brand, owned by Nutra Pure LLC, with offices in both the US and England.
Their products are sourced from non-GMO hemp, grown in Colorado. They are all free of contaminants and additives, a fact that’s testified by Trace Analytics.
Their full-spectrum CBD oils are extracted with the help of CO2 and cold-press methods.
They contain no added flavor or smell, meaning the taste is the typical hempy – grassy, earthy, not pleasant for many, but natural just the same!
One of the most unique aspects of this brand is its 90-day money-back policy. If you’re dissatisfied with the effects of the product, you can get a full refund even after a month– which is how long most brands allow. CBDPure allows you three full months within which you can return the used products and request a refund.
Potency: 100mg, 300mg, and 600mg (all 60ml bottles, we used the highest strength for our purpose, 10mg/ml, as it is the most potent option offered by the brand).
Ingredients: 600mg CBD, other cannabinoids (including <0.3% THC), organic hemp oil
Lab test: Third-party lab tests done by Trace Analytics are available on the website footer.
Guarantee: 90-day money-back if not satisfied with the results.
Hemp cultivation: Colorado, US
Extract type: Full-spectrum CBD blend
Price: 600mg in 60ml bottles costs $79, i.e. $0.13/mg
|1.||90-day money-back guarantee||Little information regarding the brand, the company, and the founders.|
|2.||Comparatively affordable||Not affordable for most|
|3.||Sourced from organic hemp grown in the US||No flavors available|
|4.||CO2 extraction from whole-plant hemp||Very low potency variants, few options|
|5.||High standards of quality control and lab testing||Quite a few poor reviews, mostly owing to their low potencies and low effectiveness|
|6.||Contains no artificial flavors or colors, no additives||No international shipping available|
Our Experience: Our testers said this brand makes the least potent CBD oils, with absolutely no side effects. That is to say, while the effects had followed a low, gradual curve, they experienced no side effects.
It took about 5 – 6 days to display any real effects, although the subjects were confident that the effects had gradually started to exhibit themselves after three days of continuous and consistent use. They also needed to take 2 – 3 doses each day, every few hours. They also took an additional dose later in the night, 15 minutes before their bedtime.
While they felt they could have done well with a higher CBD strength and some natural flavors, the effects were positively there.
#7 Hemp Bombs
Hemp Bombs has a very wide range of CBD products. This may be a positive for many, but it also signifies that their staff spends more time on continually coming up with new products now and then, instead of refining and improving their existing range of products.
The brand’s CBD oils are also available in many as 5 flavors (including natural) and 6 different strengths. They offer free shipping for all across the US for orders above $75.
They are also big on their distributor and affiliate programs as well as jazzy packaging.
What's the CBD dosage
Anxiety and depression usually require a much lower dosage than pain and inflammation.
All you need to do is take a small dose, as per your body weight, to overcome your anxiety pangs on a daily basis. You may take a dose before bedtime to get ample sleep, and one small dose before you leave home or sit down to work. You may also need 2 – 3 more small doses throughout the day if your anxiety issues are more severe.
However, taking a large dose at one go is of no use.
If you’re using a full-spectrum CBD oil for depression, it may be counter-productive, as THC is a depressant, and taking high doses of a full-spectrum CBD oil also increases the THC content that goes into your body.
In case, of isolates, however, large doses are simply useless.
Nonetheless, a 2017 review revealed that a single dose of 300mg CBD induced a discernible improvement in anxiety levels among people with social anxiety disorder.
Additionally, it is wise to follow the directions given on any product label.
What effects does CBD oil have
on Anxiety & Depression?
The findings of several scientific studies, which were published as a review in 2014, established that CBD has antidepressant and antianxiety properties.
Several events in the recent past have proven how CBD can help people overcome their anxiety pangs by triggering the serotonin receptors in the brain.
Serotonin controls several bodily functions, including emotions and feelings of well-being. Anxiety and depression therapy usually targets the imbalance in the serotonin levels. So, CBD’s effects on these receptors are seen by scientists as a viable option for people living with anxiety and depression.
So much so, CBD has also been found to be effective in treating Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), a convenient and viable option for war veterans, as well as for accident, rape, or other trauma victims.
Pharmaceutical Medication vs. CBD
for Anxiety Treatment
The traditional treatment for anxiety and depression include therapy and pharmaceutical medications (benzodiazepines, antidepressants, beta-blockers, and SNRIs, i.e. serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors,like Prozac, Zoloft, Valium, and Xanax).
While these drugs are effective for many, this is still just a temporary fix.Pharmaceutical medications focus on simply increasing the serotonin level in the brain, and don’t attend to the underlying cause of multiple neurotransmitter imbalances.
Sometimes, these drugs can even increase depression and suicidal tendencies among many, pointing to the fact that these aren’t the best option for some individuals.
Besides, many patients don’t feel any relief, or worse, can’t handle the harmful side effects of these drugs.
On the contrary, CBD has been proven to be a safe, well-tolerated and often beneficial alternative of pharmaceutical medications for mental disorders, like anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), depression, panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Is it legal to purchase CBD oil
Hemp-derived CBD has been legalized in the US, and several other parts of the world, as it contains below 0.3% of THC.
It is well within your rights to buy CBD products for anxiety in the US. However, it would still be wise to consult your therapist before proceeding.
Although FDA hasn’t given its complete approval to CBD, it did, however, approve Epidiolex – a purified CBD formulation, created by GW Pharmaceuticals, in 2018 – for treatment of 2 rare forms of epilepsy – Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.