For most people, their cup of joe is the first thing they need in the morning. Without the fresh aroma of freshly brewed coffee and its nerve stimulating satisfaction, many don’t feel awake enough to take on a new day! Does that sound like you?
Again, a lot of people worldwide have been benefitted by Cannabidiol (CBD). Some use it to find relaxation and a good night’s rest after a long day at work, others need it to overcome chronic pain and inflammation, while others still can’t control their anxiety and panic attacks without their daily dose of this cannabinoid. Do you share a similar problem?
Well, if you could relate to both these situations, then perhaps CBD coffee could be exactly what you need to jumpstart your day each morning!
But you must be wondering…
- Which CBD coffee is good?
- Which brand to buy from?
- Which brand is safe, potent, and effective, and still offers me the best of both worlds?
Well, that’s why decided to write this article. For years, I’ve been testing and reviewing CBD products for several years now. I have put my experience and those of others into account while creating this list of Best CBD Coffees in the market this year.
And, that’s not all! To help out those who want to or maybe considering trying out CBD coffee for the first time, I have also added a few brief notes to elaborate on how CBD coffee really helps the human body by influencing its endocannabinoid system to maintain homeostasis.
Happy reading…and happy sipping!
Top 3 CBD Coffee Brands 2020: Making the List
In this “Review-cum-Top Best” list, TCR’s reviewers have meticulously pored over data about scores of brands of CBD coffees to find out the best quality, the safest, most effective products that are truly the best value for money.
1)CBD Living Instant Coffee- broad spectrum
CBD Living’s Range of Instant Coffee uses the brand’s Proprietary Self-Emulsifying Delivery System that allows oil-soluble nutrientsto be delivered as an oil formulation.
Click to Copy Code
2) HempWorx Hemp-Infused Coffee- organic
HempWorx’s CBD is CO2-extracted, ensuring the final product is solvent-free, pure, potent, and safe.
Click to Copy Code
3) Green Roads Hemp Flower Coffee - full - Spectrum
CBDistillery’s capsules are available in different potencies, extract types and bottle sizes. They also offer vegan options over the usual gelatin capsules.
Click to Copy Code
3 Best CBD Coffee of 2020 : TCR’s List of Selected Brands
Established in Corona, California, in 2013, CBD Living is an industry leader in the production of CBD edibles, especially beverages. Today, its reach has crossed all national borders and created a worldwide niche for its CBD products with its vast distribution channels and brick-and-mortar stores as well as the brand’s online presence.
Being one of the pioneering brands in the CBD marketplace, CBD Living’s Range of Instant Coffee uses the brand’s Proprietary Self-Emulsifying Delivery System that allows oil-soluble nutrients (its nano-broad-spectrum CBD) to be delivered as an oil formulation. When this CBD oil reaches the stomach’s aqueous surface or lining, a water-soluble micelle structure is formed, containing particles as small as <100nm in size.
Apart from CBD coffee, CBD Living makes quite a few CBD-infused edibles and drinks, including CBD Tea, CBD Water, CBD Sleep Syrup, CBD Chocolate, CBD Gummies, and CBD Lozenge. Some of the brand’s other CBD products included CBD Tinctures, CBD Capsules, CBD Concentrates (Shatter, Isolate Crystals, and Dabz), CBD Topicals (like CBD Bath Bombs, CBD Freeze Roll-On, CBD Massage Oil, CBD Hand Sanitizer, CBD Lip Balm, CBD Lotion, CBD Patch, CBD Salve, CBD Soap, CBD Suppository, etc.)
All its products have been found to be safe, potent, and effective. CBD Living’s CBD extracts are organically sourced from Colorado’s state-licensed hemp farm and extraction facility. After its thorough in-house lab-tests are complete, CBD Living sends its extracts for third-party lab-tests to ensure they’re perfectly in adherence to government regulations, free from all heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, residual solvents, and even THC.
Once it has cleared all these tests, the extracts are then sent to their in-house labs to be infused or mixed with other appropriate ingredients to develop different kinds of CBD products according to CBD Living’s internal standard operating procedures and proprietary formulae.
As is evident from its website, the brand puts extra focus on the technology used to extract and manufacture its CBD products. Its products are each produced with the help of one of their three different proprietary formulations and delivery systems – Water-Soluble Nano CBD, Self-Emulsifying Delivery System, and Skin Retention Technology. These formulations target fast and easy absorption of CBD into the body and up to 90% bioavailability of its products.
With its headquarters in Corona, California, CBD Living conducts its operations across the world with the help of its vast and diverse distribution channels, including 2,000 retail stores, like grocery stores, convenience stores, hotels, spas, gyms, juice bars, food stores, pharmacies, gas stations, smoke shops, tanning salons, and the like. Besides, the brand also enjoys a considerable online presence.
The brand’s Instant CBD Coffees are available in three flavors, with one regular, coffee-flavored, unsweetened variant and two are sweetened variants with additional flavors, with cream. All of them contain nano-broad-spectrum hemp extract, containing the same amount of CBD in each container.
CBD Living’s CBD Instant Coffees can be consumed both as a hot or cold beverage.
CBD Living is one of the most responsible and socially conscious CBD brands. It maintains high levels of transparency and quality control. It doesn’t employ animal testing in the course of development of its formulations or any other processes. It invests a considerable amount of time and resources to different rewards programs, apart from special discounts for military personnel, war veterans, students, teachers, and first responders.
- 250mg of CBD per container
- 35 servings
Broad-Spectrum Cannabinoid Blend (THC-free)
- CBD Living Instant Coffee (Regular)
- CBD Living Instant Golden Milk Coffee
- CBD Living Instant Matcha Coffee
- Free shipping within the US on all orders above $75
- 3-day refund policy on items delivered in a damaged condition, only if purchased from the brand website
$30, i.e. $0.12/mg
A brainchild of Josh and Jenna Zwagil, HempWorx, which was founded in 2014, is currently owned by MyDailyChoice (www.MyDailyChoice.com).
As one of the pioneers in the CBD industry, HempWorx is a brand certified by the US Hemp Authority Seal of Approval – a seal that only 13 out of 22,000 companies who had applied for it have been found eligible. Today, it is one of the most trusted and well-liked CBD brands in America and has even spread its wings in Canada, EU, UK, and even Ghana.
Besides being sourced from organically grown hemp cultivated locally in Kentucky, HempWorx’s CBD is CO2-extracted, ensuring the final product is solvent-free, pure, potent, and safe. HempWorx’s products are all GMO-free and free from synthetics and harmful chemicals.
Their products are subjected to a battery of intensive and extensive lab tests, both in-house and by third-party lab tests, including gas chromatography, certificates of analysis, potency tests, and antimicrobial tests, to make sure every batch of HempWorx’s products is safe, potent and of high quality.
Apart from the 80% of HempWorx’s products that are THC-free, the rest do contain THC, but well within the permissible limits of 0.3% by weight.
Apart from the usual CBD Tinctures and Topicals, HempWorx’s Hemp-Infused Coffee and Creamers are two of its most popular CBD products for people. Its keto-friendly, cruelty-free, vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO coffees are made from organic Arabica beans and organic Chaga mushrooms.
- 5mg of CBD per serving
- 30 servings per pack
Coffee Flavor (only one variant)
Green™ Scientific Labs & Ingenuity Beverages
- 60-day full refund policy
- Return (and refund) or replacement requests must be addressed to email@example.com
$69, i.e. $0.46/mg
Founded by Arby Barroso and Lara Fuentes in 2011, Green Roads set off on a long and winding path towards what we know as a safe and reliable CBD brand today. Its main objective was to come up with effective alternatives to prescription drugs, filled with tons of artificial chemicals that are more often than not harmful to human health.
Officially owned by Green Roads of Florida LLC, the brand is a sister concern of GWR Distributors LLC which handles its distribution and shipping processes.
Green Roads’ proprietary formulations, developed by the brand’s in-house licensed pharmacists, involved only natural, botanical ingredients. Today, the brand’s CBD oils, edibles, beverages, capsules, melatonin syrups, topical creams, bath bombs, and terpenes are available in more than 5000 retail shops across the US. Besides, it also has a good amount of presence in the e-commerce market, from where customers can fetch items online and get them home delivered.
Green Roads grows its industrial hemp in organic farms in Colorado and carries out its extraction (CO2) and manufacturing processes in Florida. Its products are known to be pure, clean, and of high quality and potency, devoid of any pesticides, chemical fertilizers, or residual solvents. Besides its usual full-spectrum cannabinoid blends, the brand also has a line of zero-THC products.
Green Roads subjects every batch of its extracts to multi-stage third-party lab tests. You can check their lab results on their website. In the case of some of their products that have been manufactured in several batches, you will see multiple links corresponding to each respective batch of product. It’s best to fetch the lab results once again using the QR code on the label after you purchase a product.
Green Roads has also partnered with Mission Zero – an organization founded by US Army Combat Veteran Jose Belen – to provide support and help to the men and women in uniform who are fighting with PTSD and the suicide endemic in the US.
Its CBD beverages are pretty well-known and well-like by hundreds of people across the US. Made from Colombian coffee beans (medium roast) and US-grown hemp flowers, Green Roads’ Hemp Flower Coffee comes blended in with hints of chocolate caramel and hazelnut, offering that amazingly smooth and rich flavor that we often associate with a cup of Caramel-Hazelnut Mocha!
Unlike other CBD coffees, this brand uses only the hemp flowers, which are rich in cannabinoids, to make its delicious coffee blends. While the exact CBD content may vary from batch to batch, it usually contains around 9.5 – 10 mg per serving (2 tablespoons). However, the overall package size remains around 2.5oz/71 grams.
- 5 – 10 mg per serving (2 tablespoons, i.e. 10g approx.); as per the current batch, each 10g (serving) contains 9.67 mg
- Overall package size (smallest size) is around 2.5oz/71 grams, i.e. contains around 7 servings, with a total CBD content of 66 mg (approx.)
- Chocolate-Caramel & Hazelnuts
30-day full-refund on sealed items
$14.99, i.e. approx. $0.22/mg
What is CBD Coffee?
CBD and coffee – two of nature’s gifts to mankind. Both can keep you alert and help you overcome nausea, sleepiness, anxiety, depression, and pain. Both are nerve stimulants and have been seen to work well in tandem. However, while coffee can reduce your appetite, CBD regulates it and helps reduce bad fat – balancing your appetite and setting you off on the right track towards healthier living!
CBD-infused coffee is nothing more than a blend of roasted coffee bean extract and cannabidiol (or cannabinoids) extract (CO2) from industrial hemp plant parts. Usually, CBD coffee is around 90% coffee and 10% CBD.
However, each brand has its own proprietary blend and flavors. While some use CBD isolates, others use full-spectrum sans the terpenes. While some brands offer rich Colombian coffee in the blend that makes for great instant coffee, others use the strong Arabian (Arabica) coffee that needs to be brewed before consumption. Some add flavors and creamers, while others are to be taken black. Some utilize the whole hemp plant extracts in their blends, others use only the flowers and buds.
How Does CBD & Caffeine Interact?
You must remember that CBD is biphasic in its nature. While in small amounts it has one effect, in larger levels, the effects may not only vary but be completely opposite. For instance, in low levels, CBD causes alertness and increases focus and attention span. So does coffee. And if you remember, we have mentioned in an earlier section that CBD-infused coffee contains mostly coffee and only around 10% CBD. This means that when you drink a cup of CBD coffee, both the caffeine and CBD work in tandem to keep you awake and alert.
Now caffeine has some side effects for some people. Oh yes! Coffee can sometimes cause anxiety, insomnia, and indigestion in some people. It also raises the blood pressure (necessary effects to keep you alert) and may also trigger irregular heartbeat if you’re already feeling anxious at that time. While people usually don’t drink coffee later in the evening, drinking it at any other time of the day can still cause indigestion and anxiety.
However, CBD can counter all these negative effects and offer relaxation, reduce anxiety and relentlessness, decrease stress, fight insomnia, regulate bowel movement, and combat heart issues and maintain blood circulation.
Although it is never advisable to drink CBD coffee before bedtime (there are other CBD products for promoting a good night’s sleep, like CBD oil tinctures, vapes, capsules, balms, etc.), you can certainly use it as frequently as needed during the daytime. It would help you stay alert, stay focused, feel stress-free, and regulate your breathing and heart rates. Its overall effect can be felt in your performance at work, your social life outside, as well as your personal life.
What are the Benefits of CBD Coffee?
Some of the benefits of CBD Coffee are:
- Increase in focus and attentiveness: Better performance at work, and more attentive at home, too!
- A fresh mind and alert brain: An alert mind will not get tired too easily and will be able to keep good track of everything going on around and everything that needs to be done.
- Reduced anxiety, panic attacks, and stress (it would not make you “high” and “happy” like when you have a joint, but it will regulate your mood and keep your emotions at check!)
- Relief from post-workout muscle pain, inflammation, sprain, and joint stiffness (by around 48%): Quite like CBD topicals, CBD-infused beverages like CBD coffee can offer that pleasant relief from pain and swelling, while providing necessary joint and muscle support.
- Regulated bowel movement: It counters the effects of caffeine and makes sure you do not suffer from loss of appetite, constipation (as caffeine tends to dehydrate the body), or upset stomach.
- Better cardiovascular health (heart and blood circulation): These are things that CBD does anyway. Even if you add coffee to the mix, you don’t generally suffer from irregular heartbeats or panic attacks.
- Improvement in lung health and regulates the pulmonary system: CBD coffee helps regulate your breathing and calm your nerves. This has an overall impact on your pulmonary system. But, never mix it with other CBD products, especially no vape products.
- Lower risk of diabetes: CBD coffee reduces the urges to binge and controls your food intake. CBD has some impact in curbing diabetes in general. Caffeine helps the process.
- Reduction in bad body fat and better, slimmer, and healthier body: CBD does this anyway. Caffeine helps it further!
- Lower risk of stroke (over 20%): Both caffeine and CBD have this effect on the human body.
- Lower risk and lower frequency of epilepsy-related seizures: This benefit is entirely the work of CBD!
- Combats symptoms of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s
- Lowers chances of skin cancer
While we are aware that CBD has varying effects on the human body, so does coffee. While the above-mentioned benefits are generic, not everyone will experience the same effects or even the same level of effects. There are a few scientific proofs to support claims of CBD and coffee’s benefits independently, however, no experiments have been conducted on the effects of CBD coffee on the human body (and mind). These statements are drawn more from anecdotal reports than scientific experiments.
How to Make CBD Coffee (at home)?
In this section, we have elaborated on one of the best ways to make CBD coffee – a recipe you can work with at home!
- First, brew around 8 ounces of fresh coffee. The concentration of coffee (whichever variant, brand, or strain) and water can be as per your liking and taste.
- Use a blender to mix this brewed coffee properly, making sure it is a homogenous liquid.
- While in the blender, add 1 teaspoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of organic coconut oil. Mix it well.
- Now add 1/2 dropper of CBD oil (or as per your dosage) into the blended mix (still in the blender).
- You may add creamers, shredded chocolate, cinnamon, nuts, etc. for added flavor.
- Mix it well in the blender for about 15 – 20 seconds.
- If you finish it off by adding some toppings, like marshmallows, rainbow sprinkles, or sweet-tasting crackers, to give it a nice look!
- Your cup of CBD coffee is ready to drink – enjoy!
What are the drawbacks of CBD Coffee?
Just like CBD, coffee (caffeine) is an otherwise safe substance. However, its effects vary from person to person. Some people have experienced some issues with both. While it is not necessary that everyone will, here are a few side effects that one may expect to experience:
- Excessive sweating, accompanied by a sudden rise in blood pressure and heart rate and anxiety. This can also lead to dizziness.
- Drowsiness or headaches caused due to oversensitivity to CBD or reaction with something that the consumer already had in his or her system (including pharmaceutical drugs). It may also occur if the dosage is spiked.
- Sleeplessness or even sleep deprivation, in cases where the caffeine content is too much for the individual and his CBD-sensitivity, is too low.
- Caffeine can sometimes pose an obstruction in the normal pathway of CBD that helps in reducing inflammations, thus leading to swellings and other related issues to persist or aggravate.
- Both CBD and coffee have dehydrating effects on the body that can start with dryness of mouth and aggravate to other mild to medium-level physical issues. This can be countered by consuming additional water.
Excessive CBD coffee can cause all the negative effects to work up all at the same time, making you jittery, sluggish, and nervous all the time. Make sure you only have as much as needed.
So, start with small doses and increase gradually. Never drink it after 3 pm and make sure you do not drink or eat anything containing CBD throughout the day – unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
Overdosing on CBD, with coffee in your system, can lead to hyperventilation, sweating, panic attacks, sudden and irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, and loss of both appetite and sleep, leaving you tired, sleep-deprived, and confused.
To make sure you can enjoy and make the most of these two nature’s gifts, you must practice restraint!
Consult a doctor who is aware of your physical (and possibly mental) conditions, and follow his instructions when you drink your next cup of CBD coffee.
Happy Drinking and Have a Good Day!