Cannabidiol (CBD) has been known to have many health benefits. These claims aren’t just some word-of-mouth testimonials. There is quite a bit of scientific evidence to substantiate the health benefit claims regarding this particular cannabinoid, especially in fighting different health issues, like…
- Neuropathic pain,
- Superficial trauma,
- Sleep disorder,
- Skin issues,
- Seizures associated with epilepsy,
- Cancer pain and inflammation,
- Anxiety disorder and depression,
- Blood pressure, and
- Drug addiction.
For obvious reasons, CBD seems to be one of the most potent cures for different human conditions, and the best part is that it can be consumed or used in different ways, depending on the purpose of using it and other convenience factors.
CBD is available in different forms –
- Oils or tinctures – to be used sublingually
- Topicals – to be applied on the surface of the skin
- Vape liquids – to be inhaled through a vaping device
- Soft gel capsules – to be consumed like any other capsule, i.e. gulped down with water
- Edibles, like gummies, etc. to be consumed like any other food item
- A far less common method, and usually a not-so-preferred method, is a suppository – pushed through the anus
- 1 Best CBD Capsules: How We Made The List
- 2 Best CBD Capsules: Brands That Made The Cut & Why
- 2.1 Joy Organics as a Brand
- 2.2 cbdMD as a Brand
- 2.3 CBDistillery as a Brand
- 2.4 Hemp Bombs as a Brand
- 2.5 CBDPure as a Brand
- 3 How to use CBD capsules?
- 4 How many CBD capsules to take?
CBD Capsules – what makes capsules a better option for many
While each one of these methods/forms of administering CBD has its advantages and disadvantages, the selection of a form of CBD is completely a matter of personal choice.
For instance, capsules are better for people who do not like the natural taste of hemp or even the added flavorings used in CBD tinctures or edibles but still need it to be administered systemically (in which it reaches the entire body through the internal systems).
Topicals – as the term suggests – is applied externally and affects only a localized area on which it is applied, without entering your internal systems.
It can also be better than using vape liquids, as it does not tend to dry up your throat or mouth or affect your lungs in any way.
Besides, capsules are easier to carry around, consume, don’t require complicated measurements or additional devices, and can be taken after or before food to enable easy absorption.
If you’re one of those who prefer capsules over other forms of CBD products, your next concern will be: How to know for sure which brand of CBD capsules would offer you the most relief in the fastest possible time, keeping safety in mind?
That is why we conduct the research for you, conduct surveys to understand what users prefer and why, and try them out to be sure which brand of CBD capsules are the best in the market.
Best CBD Capsules: How We Made The List
We at “The Cannabis Radar” regularly release “The Year’s Best CBD Products” lists. We not only seek people’s opinion (through surveys) and study user reviews posted on brand websites and other blogs, but also go a step further – test the products ourselves.
We don’t claim that our list is all-inclusive or contains all the absolute-best products in the market. However, we stand by our list of “Best CBD Capsules in the Market”, as over 5,000 of our direct subscribers and readers have vouched for them.
Our team of dedicated testers, who have used CBD products earlier, physically tests these products before giving their assessment on how they fare.
Factors we looked at to judge each CBD oil product
- Potency: A safe and good quality CBD product may not be enough to use its potency is not high enough to have any effect. CBD capsules, like any other edible, go through the digestive system, where is a lot of wastage. Owing to this reason, one needs to consume capsules that have high potency levels. Otherwise, a user won’t find adequate relief.
- Ingredients: Understanding the product ingredients is very important. The composition of the product and the CBD formulation matters in how it reacts with human health. We try to find out whether the ingredients are:
- Well-suited for human consumption
- Do not include harmful chemicals, contaminants, or high levels of psychoactive substances
- Are natural, preferring organically grown, including the CBD extracts
- Boost CBD’s effectiveness, and not hinder it
- Hemp source: Hemp grown on regulated farmlands across the US or some parts of Europe is safe, as they are less likely to contain harmful chemicals or high levels of THC. However, that is not the case with hemp extracts sourced from other parts of the world, where it is not as well regulated. Hemp regulation ensures the safety of these products.
- Extract type: CBD products, including soft gel caps, are available in different extract types. CBD extracts can be full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, or isolates. The choice is a personal matter, but one needs to know the pros and cons of each type of extract.
- Full-Spectrum: Whole-plant extract, with all cannabinoids (including THC), terpenes, fatty acids, minerals, and flavonoids being present in the natural proportion. [Full-spectrum hemp extracts from regulated farms in the US and Europe don’t contain THC in high enough levels to have hallucinatory effects.]
- Broad-Spectrum: Same as full-spectrum, with the exception that they contain zero-THC. In these products, THC is removed from the final extract through a series of complicated procedures.
- Isolates: These are products containing pure CBD, and no other phytonutrients or plant materials. These products offer doses of only CBD. While this may be favorable for some, especially those who are afraid of testing positive on drug tests, these products do not provide the entourage effect like the two previously mentioned types of extracts.
The “entourage effect” is the enhancing effect offered by other ingredients to CBD in the formulation. This offers a more potent and stronger dose, with other ingredients, including the terpenes, flavonoids, and the other cannabinoids enhancing CBD’s effects.
- Lab tests: Consumers should trust products only if they are tested by some third-party laboratory. These independent labs can testify for the authenticity, potency, efficiency, quality, and safety of the products. Our list contains brands that make their lab test reports (CoAs) public.
- Guarantees: Brands that are confident about the effectiveness of their products declare that with promises of returning your money if you are satisfied with the results or receive them in poor condition. This not only provides a sense of trust and satisfaction among users but also ensures you get the most of what you paid for.
- Brand Image: Competent and established brands have built the trust of the consumers with their effective products and good customer service. Besides, they have also put in years of experimentation and research into their formulation. No brand would stand to lose all that by tarnishing their image with poor quality products. So, it is safe to trust brands that have a good reputation.
- Price: Let’s face it – CBD is expensive! And better the quality, higher is the price. But that does not necessarily mean that brands charging high prices for their products are selling premium-quality products just because they say so. So our list only contains those products that offer you the best value for your money. They are all high-quality products with prices that are as affordable as possible.
- Personal Experience: This is where our team of testers has directly helped in creating this list. Their experiences were taken into consideration, before making the final list. While everyone reacts differently to CBD and their different formulations, our testing ensures a fair idea of how people would generally react to these products.
Best CBD Capsules: Brands That Made The Cut & Why
- Joy Organics
- Hemp Bombs
* We used 25mg (exact or approx.) variants of most of these brands to get a proper comparative idea of the effectiveness, safety, and affordability of these brands of CBD capsules.
Joy Organics as a Brand
Joy Organics, a family-based business operating out of Colorado, entered the CBD market in 2018 with its line of THC-free, high-quality CBD products.
From high-quality ingredients, including their CBD extract, to world-class customer service, including free shipping and an excellent 30-day return and full-refund policy, Joy Organics has made sure to give the best in the market.
The brand’s broad-spectrum CBD products, sourced from regulated hemp farmlands, are gluten-free and devoid of harmful contaminants. Their capsules contain water-soluble CBD, making it easier for absorption, thus increasing bioavailability and leaving less room wastage.
Joy Organics also offers special capsules for sleep (with melatonin) and joint pain (with curcumin).
The company takes pride in the quality of its products and the transparency of its operations. Their products aren’t too expensive either.
Why Joy Organics is the overall best in the market
All three variants (including special sleep and joint pain) are available in 25mg/capsule potency. They also have a lower variant (10mg) for milder issues.
- CBD-rich hemp extract
- Polysorbate emulsifiers
- Medium-chain triglycerides
- Gelatin (bovine)
The joint pain variant also contains curcuminoids and sleep variant water-soluble melatonin.
- Hemp source:
USA (location unknown)
- Extract type:
Broad-spectrum CBD blend
- Lab test:
For simplicity, truncated lab reports of tests done by a third-party laboratory (PIXIS Labs) are available on their product pages. To get a detailed report, you need to simply buy a product and scan the QR Code available on the product label to match it with a detailed report. Their Lab Result Page is also available under the tab “Learn” on the website header.
- 30-day full money-back
$44.95 – $99.95, i.e., $3.398/mg – $4.995/mg
- Pros & cons:
|1.||High-quality, organic,& lab-tested products||Joy Organics may give the impression it makes its products, but it doesn’t. The products are made by Folium Biosciences. They also claim to source their hemp from the US, but we’re not sure from where.|
|2.||THC-free products||Small amounts of THC can be good in certain cases|
|3.||Value for money||Unaffordable for some, especially those who need more than one a day|
|4.||CBD extracted via CO2 method, water-soluble extracts (designed with the help of nano-emulsion technology) used to make the capsules to overcome the issue of wastage while going through the digestive system||The purpose of posting lab test reports conducted by their own chemists in unclear; detailed reports are available only on buying their products.|
|5.||Ingredients like Melatonin and Curcumin to provide relief for specific issues, like sleeplessness and pain|
As usual, we appointed two testers, with different needs for CBD, i.e. back pain and sleep issues, to try out the different brands of CBD capsules.
With Joy Organics, our testers seemed exceptionally satisfied. They felt that Joy’s 25mg capsules were best suited to overcome sleeplessness and anxiety, as well as get relief from joint pains if taken in the right dose.
Both preferred taking these soft gels later in the evening after dinner, as they found to be the most suitable for their condition. While the tester with sleep issues, reported having fallen into a deep sleep pretty fast (from the very first night), the tester with joint pains and back pains said she needed to take a higher dose and for 2 – 3 consecutive days to feel any real improvement – but this was to be expected!
Pain and inflammation often take longer to subside with any medication. The same applies to CBD.
Nonetheless, the effects were clearly there.
Since all of the brand’s products are sourced from organic extracts, the testers felt no side-effects. Besides, the capsules got absorbed into the body pretty fast, owing to the nano-emulsion technology used to design these water-soluble CBD soft gel caps.
Even the subject with back pain said her back pain was slightly numbed from the very first night – which is great given the potency of the product not being too high.
All in all, this product was preferred by the testers far more than the others.
cbdMD as a Brand
CbdMD offers safe, high-quality, effective, affordable, and broad-spectrum CBD products.
The brand runs a transparent operation, carrying out safe farming practices in accordance with the US federal regulations of cannabis farming and CBD production and making its certificates of analysis (CoAs) available to the public.
Their products are vegan, organic, and gluten-free, with their blend of CBD formulation being specifically of CBD isolates, mixed in different terpenes and carrier oils.
The CBD oil softgels are quite effective in curbing nausea and fighting pain.
CbdMD’s CBD oil caps are available in 30- or 60-count bottles, with each capsule containing a minimum dose of 15mg CBD.
Why cbdMD made it to TCR’s list: Range of Potencies
- 30-count bottles: 450mg (15mg/cap), 1000mg (33.33mg/cap), & 1500mg (50mg/cap)
- 60-count bottles: 1000mg (16.67mg/cap), 1500mg (25mg/cap), & 3000mg (50mg/cap)
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil (including CBG & CBDV)
- MCT oil (Carrier oil)
- Vegan-grade capsules
- Hemp source:
- Extract type:
- Lab test:
CbdMD’s products are tested by independent laboratory SCLabs.
Lab reports available on their brand website under:
About à Our Process à CBD Oil Testing à View Our Third-Party Lab Results.
- Price:$35.99 – $149.99 ($0.05/mg – $0.08/mg)
- Pros & cons:
|1.||Wide range of CBD potencies in cbdmMD’s softgel caps (15mg – 50mg)||Users with coconut allergies may face problems as the coconut-based MCT oil has been used in these CBD oil softgel caps.|
|2.||Thorough lab test reports, citing cannabinoid profile, safety profile||Very little information on the brand, customer service hours, and the founders.|
|3.||THC-free, vegan, organic, and gluten-free ingredients||No full-spectrum variants|
|4.||Affordable||Only sold online|
|5.||Free shipping across the US; delivers in parts of Europe; 30-day money-back guarantee||Occasional shipping delays|
Our testers used the 25mg-per-capsule variant (60-count bottles with 1500mg concentration) twice a day. Although the effects were slow on the uptake, the effects were definitely there.
Within a couple of days, the subjects felt much at ease.
- They were both getting ample sleep, free from pain or anxiety.
- They felt fresh and energetic throughout the day.
- With no side-effects felt throughout the entire month they had used this product, the relief was long-lasting.
CbdMD’s capsules are available in a wide range of potency options, leaving the choice in the hands of the users. Besides, they are also very affordable. So, our subjects felt at ease using them as many as needed (usually twice daily).
Although they did not feel the need to use the 50mg/cap variants, one still has the option open to them, in case their conditions are too severe.
CBDistillery as a Brand
Aimed at reaching out to the people suffering from different health issues with safe, affordable, and high-quality CBD products, CBDistillery’s capsules are available in different potencies, extract types and bottle sizes. They also offer vegan options over the usual gelatin capsules.
Their products are as effective as they are safe. All their products are lab-tested. However, the lab reports posted on their product pages don’t contain the safety profiles. To fetch them, you have to buy them, scan the QR code, and get the detailed report.
While their products are of good quality and highly potent, some people have found that the formulation takes a little while longer to have substantial effects, especially in cases of severe pain and inflammation.
Although information regarding their farming, extraction, and processing is pretty vague, their products are certified by the US Hemp Authority.
Why CBDistillery made it to TCR’s list: Capsules in Different Extract Types& Vegan Options
- 30-count bottles:
- 25mg full-spectrum CBD per vegan (pill) capsules(750mg)
- 30mg full-spectrum CBD per gelatin softgel capsules (900mg)
- 30mg CBD isolate per gelatin softgel capsules (900mg)
- 60-count bottles:
- 30mg full-spectrum CBD per gelatin softgel capsules (1800mg)
- 30mg CBD isolate per gelatin softgel capsules (1800mg)
- Vegan pills: Fractionated coconut oil (MCT), CO2extracted full-spectrum industrial hemp oil, capsules (vegetable cellulose, purified water)
- Gelatin full-spectrum softgels: Fractionated coconut oil (MCT), full-spectrum hemp extract (only aerial parts), sunflower lecithin, gelatin (gelatin capsules)
- Gelatin CBD isolate softgels: Fractionated coconut oil (MCT), anhydrous (crystalline) hemp oil, gelatin (gelatin capsules)
- Hemp source:
- Extract type:
Both full-spectrum CBD and CBD isolate extracts available in CBDistillery’s capsules
- Lab test: The lab reports are posted on their product pages. However, you can only see the cannabinoid profile of the products and not the safety profiles. For a more detailed report, one needs to buy a product. Their gelatin capsules are tested by ProVerde Laboratories, and the vegan ones by ACS Laboratory.
No money-back guarantee on opened products. The brand gives its customers only a 7-day time limit to request a return and refund on sealed products, in case:
- a wrong product is sent,
- the product is damaged during shipping or not full,
- any other delivery issues
- 30-count bottles: $50 – $60 ($0.07/mg)
- 60-count bottles: $115 ($0.06/mg)
- Pros & cons:
|1.||A wide range of options in potencies. Capsules available in both full-spectrum and isolate extracts. Plus, they have vegan options in capsules||Some people have complained of the poor effectiveness of even the high-potency variants.|
|2.||Available both online and in retail stores||Packaging may be an issue in some cases|
|3.||Transparent business practices – farming, ingredients, extraction, third-party lab testing, etc.||Regular shipping delays, especially during the holidays; inefficient customer service|
|4.||Budget-friendly; free shipping for orders above $75 across the US.||No ‘money-back’ guarantee if dissatisfied with products; refunds available only on sealed products if returned within 7 days|
|5.||CBD extracts sourced from non-GMO &pesticide-free hemp||Not 100% organic; not much information available on their extraction and filtration processes|
|6.||Offers special discounts for war veterans, military personnel, and the disabled||MCT oil present in some capsules may pose problems for people with coconut allergies|
25mg is a healthy dose, and if used twice daily, it is a highly potent dose. Our testers weren’t disappointed with this option. Additionally, this variant was available in vegan capsules – which were particularly good for one of our test subjects. So, we stuck to this variant.
However, one of our testers, who suffered from severe back and joint pains, realized it wasn’t the right choice for her. Since she wasn’t vegan, she thought she could switch to the 30mg gelatin variant.
Both the types of capsules used were full-spectrum CBD capsules. We have noticed that full-spectrum CBD capsules are usually more effective than CBD isolates. Besides, we wanted to make sure that both testers used the same kind of extract for their conditions to better assess the improvements in their conditions – pain and sleep issues.
And we were right in doing so. While the vegan tester who suffered from sleep issues, soon felt that the 25mg/cap variant, taken twice a day, was good enough for her to get adequate sleep through the night and to keep her fresh and energized all day long.
As for the tester with back and joint pains, the initial hiccup set her trials back by a few days. But, with the 30mg variant, she regained her initial vigor and energy. She was getting sufficient, pain-free sleep during the night and was able to carry out her daily activities during the day painlessly.
Hemp Bombs as a Brand
HempBombs has a large variety of CBD products – a plus for some, but it also signifies that their chemists must spend more time on designing new products ever so often, rather than improving on their existing range of products.
The brand’s CBD caps are available in low and high potency variants as well as in two sizes – 30-count and 60-count.
They offer free shipping for all states across the US for all orders above $75. They are pretty big on their distributor and affiliate programs. Their attractive packaging is a plus.
Why Hemp Bombs made it to TCR’s list: Variety of Options
15mg & 25mg/capsule
- 60 caps: 1500mg (25mg/cap) + 900mg (15mg/cap)
- 30 caps: 750mg (25mg/cap) + 450mg (15mg/cap)
- 15 caps: 225mg (15mg/cap)
- 5 caps: 75mg (15mg/cap)
Calcium (citrate/carbonate) (25mg)
Magnesium (oxide/glycinate) (25mg)
Broad-spectrum hemp extracts (15mg/25mg)
- Hemp source:
- Extract type:
Broad-spectrum CBD blend
- Lab test:
Their lab tests, done by ACS Laboratory, can be found under the drop-down menu under the Tab LEARN on the brand’s website header as well as on each product page under “Why Hemp Bombs?”
30-day money-back guarantee, if you’re not satisfied with their products. However, this offer only applies if you make a purchase directly from their website https://hempbombs.com, and not from a local store or third-party e-com site.
$14.99 – $139.99, i.e. $0.1/mg – $0.2/mg
- Pros & cons:
|1.||Wide variety of options, both high potency (25mg) and regular (15mg) variants available||Too many options, but even the high concentration CBD caps don’t always offer sufficient relief, at least initially|
|2.||Value for money||No vegan or gluten-free options|
|3.||Tested for cannabinoid and safety profiles by independent labs||Not entirely natural or organic|
|4.||Special discounts for senior citizens and war veterans||Not much information regarding the brand, the founders, or their extraction process is available|
|5.||Attractive packaging, effective products, no side effects, eye on catering to all CBD needs of people||Focus shifted to making more products than improving on existing ones|
The last “pro and con” sort of justifies why we have this brand in our list in the first place, as well as why we chose to move it towards the bottom.
Our testers stand by this logic, as the CBD formulation while being quite effective and potent, was slow on the uptake.
Anxiety and sleep issues are milder problems that can be easily overcome with a bit of help. However, joint pains and inflammations are, understandably, more problematic health issues that need stronger doses and more consistent use. That seemed to be the case with Hemp Bombs’ capsules.
The initial experience of the testers was that it took a while longer to not only overcome chronic pain, but also acute pain, like a one-off headache caused by cold or work-related stress.
Some general assessments made by the testers*:
- Work-related stress: 2 – 3 capsules an hour before bedtime
- Chronic joint or back pain: At least 3 capsules taken twice a day continuously for 3 – 4 days for discernible improvements
- Chronic anxiety & sleep issues: 2 caps taken an hour before bedtime for at least 2 – 3 days
- Nausea or vomiting tendencies: Only one cap when needed
* We used the 25mg variant for our tests.
CBDPure as a Brand
A family-managed brand business, CBDPure is owned by Nutra Pure LLC, with offices in both the US and the UK.
Sourced from non-GMO hemp grown in Colorado, CBDPure’s products are free of contaminants or additives, as supported by third-party lab Trace Analytics.
A bottle of the brand’s capsules “Softgels 750” contains a total of 30 capsules, each containing 25mg of full-spectrum, natural, and organically sourced CBD oil.
One of the most attractive aspects of CBDPure’s products its 90-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with the effects of any product, you can return the product within 90 days of purchase for a full refund.
Why CBDPure made it to TCR’s list: Focus on Advanced Tech for Safety Profile
750mg (30 caps, 25mg each)
- Full-spectrum hemp oil (0.5mg)
- Cannabidiol (CBD) (25mg)
- Hemp source:
- Extract type:
Full-spectrum CBD blend
- Lab test:
Third-party lab Trace Analytics regularly tests CBDPure’s products, including their capsules. These reports are available on the website footer. You can directly download the most recent reports. However,
An attractive 90-day money-back guarantee if dissatisfied with the results.
- Pros & cons:
|1.||An exceptional 90-day money-back guarantee on all its products||Little information regarding the brand, the company, & its founders|
|2.||Comparatively affordable||Not affordable for many|
|3.||Sourced from organic hemp grown in Colorado||Product page contains very little information on products|
|4.||CO2 extraction from whole-plant industrial hemp||The website isn’t as informative as one would expect from a CBD brand|
|5.||High standards of quality control &lab testing||Occasional below-average reviews, mostly owing to their comparatively slow effects|
|6.||Shipping to all states of the US &the UK||Promise of 3 – 5 delivery does not always hold good|
CBDPure’s CBD softgels are definitely quite effective, made from good-quality hemp extracts, and the CBD extracted from hemp with the help of CO2. Even then, its effectiveness falls a bit short for the price you pay for it. Hence, it figures on our No. 5 slot.
Nonetheless, the CBD formulation is still effective enough, although it may take a little while longer. This was exactly the scenario when our testers tried out CBDPure’s Softgels 750.
It took at least 4 – 5 days for one of our testers to get relief from her chronic back pain. However, the effects were discernible enough by 2 days in case of sleep issues and anxiety.
Although the effects were, mostly, all good, they did face a few issues,like discomfort in the stomach, during the one-month our testers used this brand’s soft gel capsules. Although the reason for it is not exactly known for certain, it may be due to some ingredient in the formulation.
We wish the brand made the ingredients of their CBD formulations more open to the public.
As far as the lab test reports indicate, there are no contaminants, pesticides, heavy metals, residual solvents, or any other harsh chemicals present in their capsules. The fact that they use CO2 to extract the CBD makes it easier to trust them.
How to use CBD capsules?
Capsules are known for being the most popular way of using CBD.
Just place the capsule in your mouth and gulp it down with a mouthful of water. It’s that simple. All you need to do is to make sure you know how many capsules to take to get the adequate dosage for your condition/needs.
How many CBD capsules to take?
This is, in fact, the tricky part. With CBD there is no “One-Dosage-Fits-All” model.
You need to figure out the approximate dosage for yourself and start there.
While it’s always safer to start low and go slow, there are some CBD calculators available online to get an idea of how much (how many mg of CBD) to consume. The calculator determines your approximate quantity to start with depending on…
- Type of Condition
- Severity of Condition
- Method of Administration (in this case, edible)
However, there are other pre-conditions that decide how far this approximation will work, i.e. your specific chemical balance within your endocannabinoid system.
For instance, you’re a male, weighing 128 pounds, needing CBD for severe back pain, then you would need approximately 56mg of CBD.
Once you have the approximate dosage, simply calculate to find out how many capsules you would need to add up to the required dosage. And voila, you have set your dosage!