Who doesn’t like to party or get together with friends and family after stomaching a strenuous week at the workplace?
But do those weekends lead you to a hung-over morning after?
Do you feel giddy even the day after the party?
Do you spend hours puking into the toilet?
Do you tend to get so sloshed at the party that you just can’t lift your head off the pillow the next day?
Do you feel so exhausted that your entire body aches?
Do you feel you just can’t focus your vision or mind on anything – even as mundane a task as brushing your teeth?
Do you end up missing work Monday morning?
Then maybe it’s time you should cut down on the booze or you drank more responsibly. You may also consider drinking more water than you usually do – while and after the party. You can also try fresh lemon juice or coffee.
But what seems to work best these days (thanks to its legalization of hemp farming) is CBD.
Although it may not magically cure you of all your grogginess, dizziness, exhaustion, headaches, body aches, nausea, and the sick feeling in your gut, it will still help you manage your symptoms better and get about your daily chores more comfortably than you would if you tried getting over your hangover the old-fashioned way.
You won’t quite feel fresh as a daisy, but you’ll be able to manage your symptoms a little bit better. You’ll feel energized and fresh. That surely seems like quite an improvement over feeling like your head’s floating in the clouds or someone’s pounding on it with a hammer.
In fact, CBD is known to fight and help manage nausea, headaches, body aches, inflammation, easing your bowel movement, regulating your heart rate, and cleansing your body of all toxins – all of which are CBD’s basic properties, i.e. as part of its role in maintaining the body’s homeostasis.
What’s more, with CBD there isn’t much you must do or prepare to calm your nerves, ease your stomach, and mellow down the throbbing pain in your head.
- You don’t need someone to prepare you coffee or lemon juice – which by the way does not cool off the symptoms as well as CBD does.
- You don’t need to physically drag yourself to the kitchen or the fridge to make some ginger tea or coffee or fetch something to ease the pain and the sickness.
All you need to do is squeeze a few drops of the tincture into your mouth and ease back into your pillow. And the cannabinoid will do its job. It will relieve you of the pressure on all your nerves that is making you feel so sick!
But you may wonder: The smell of coffee itself is refreshing. How can CBD do that, and how?
How CBD Helps Hangovers – A Scientific Outlook
To understand how CBD works on our body and how it helps you fight a hangover, you must understand that alcohol is poison on your entire body, right from your brain’s neurons to your stomach, your muscles and bones, and even your hormone levels!
As alcohol courses through the veins of an individual, it causes an array of reactions in the body and on the mind. These reactions don’t just include the flavorful tingling of your taste buds and the psychedelic effects.
- Initially, as alcohol enters your stomach, it travels through a series of complex, enzymatic pathways, where it gets detoxified by cytochrome P450 – a liver enzyme responsible for metabolizing all potentially toxic compounds.
- The first process leads to another series of events that release free radicals, causing oxidative stress. In a normally functioning human body, the antioxidants present within the body fight these free radicals, eventually expelling them from the body. However, as one keeps drinking, the toxicity level in the bloodstream rises, causing the liver to work harder to detoxify it, and eventually it rebels.
- The struggle between the liver enzyme and alcohol (ethanol) results in the production of a highly reactive and toxic chemical compound known as acetaldehyde (or ethanal – an aldehyde with carcinogenic properties).
- This acetaldehyde is then mixed with metabolites (digested foods, drinks, etc.) by the liver cells, producing water-soluble compounds that can easily and safely be expelled/excreted by the body.
- That’s why people often suggest consuming electrolytic drinks, sweating it out, or having even a tasty mojito to cure a hangover.
In short, drinking alcohol forces your body to adjust to the new toxic compound that is suddenly introduced to your body and tries to flush it out as soon as and as swiftly as possible. As the alcohol starts to leave your body, it produces an array of withdrawal symptoms.
All these reactions send your body into overdrive – causing anxiety, panic, stress, increased heart rate, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headaches, and a range of other adverse effects that one may sometimes feel ill-equipped to handle.
While for some, 5 drinks may provide that perfect tipsy feel. For others, 2 or 3 may be enough to get them sloshed! No two individuals handle alcohol the same way. Then there are different varieties of alcoholic drinks – each of which has different alcohol content and other ingredients in different proportions. No matter what – one must know his or her limits.
Like any mind-altering substance, alcohol too has an intoxicating effect on humans. It tends to influence the user to have more, making the person gradually lose control over his or her senses and abilities.
Just like alcohol, cannabinoids can influence our nervous system – commanding our body and mind to act in a specific way. Since the endocannabinoid system (which is what the cannabinoids govern) is part of the nervous system, they follow a similar route as an alcoholic drink.
That is why it is easier for cannabinoids to increase or hinder the effects of alcohol. If you were to smoke weed while drinking, you would notice a remarkable increase in the psychedelic effects.
Whereas, if you were to use legal CBD oil (that contains less than 0.3% THC) during, after, or even the morning after your drinking session, you may experience the hangover symptoms more mildly – or even – not at all!
That is because the CBD decreases the occurrence or at least the intensity of the hangover effects, such as nausea (even vomiting), headaches, anxiety pangs, and increased heart rate, neuron damage, oxidative stress, among others. In fact, CBD can reverse the side effects of over-drinking to a certain extent.
Note: It is NOT advised to use CBD (or any cannabis extract, for that matter) along with alcohol, owing to the possibility of the presence of THC. Nevertheless, research suggests that a combination of alcohol and CBD, when taken together, results in significantly lower blood alcohol levels compared to when alcohol is consumed alone.
The different ways in which CBD has proven to efficiently alleviate hangover symptoms include:
- Relieving headaches caused by heavy drinking: Hangover associated with heavy drinking often causes one of the most severe, pounding headaches. This is caused by the immune system’s inflammatory response to alcohol (remember, we said this is poison to health?). So much so, alcoholic drinks (ADs) is reportedly one of the biggest migraine triggers among people who suffer from migraines. Research suggests it’s a trigger in about one-third of such patients. Meanwhile, studies reveal that medical marijuana can decrease the frequency of migraine headaches and neuropathic pain. Besides, cannabinoids are also known for their anti-inflammatory properties that can positively alter the way we handle aches and pains the morning after a night of partying.
- Alleviating nausea & vomiting tendencies: Do you often end up throwing up into the toilet within hours of drinking? Do all your parties get ruined by you rushing to the toilet after a few drinks? Well, this is a sign of alcohol poisoning. When you drink alcohol, your gastric acid production increases. It irritates your stomach, making it upset. The high alcohol content in your bloodstream sets off alarm bells in your brainstem’s vomiting center that regulates and controls nausea and vomiting, triggering these sensations in attempts to get rid of the alcohol in your stomach. In the process, all the contents of your stomach get expelled. This is an attempt by your body to stop you from drinking anymore and expelling what remains in the stomach. This is the body’s defense mechanism. This phenomenon can start right when your body starts to detect high levels of alcohol and continue several hours later – even continuing up to the next morning. Hyper-production of stomach acids delays digestion and also causes abdominal pain. Now the interesting part is that the nervous system’s vomiting center is regulated by a section of the endocannabinoid system – the system that is influenced by cannabinoids – particularly, the CB1 receptors. Research has shown that CBD’s antiemetic properties can indirectly, but effectively address both nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing chemotherapy/other therapeutic processes by activating the 5HT-1A receptors in the brainstem (also called the serotonin receptors), thus lowering the release of serotonin (5-HT) that stimulates the sensations of nausea and vomiting.
- Protecting your nervous system from damage: No, drinking does not kill your brain cells, but it still does affect your judgment and cognitive abilities (#BrainFog!). Physically speaking, however, alcohol does result in some neurological damage. In reality, it damages the nerve cell endings (branch-like dendrites/dendrons) that are responsible for transmitting messages between the neurons (brain cells). This means that while the brain cells aren’t themselves damaged, the way they relay messages does get damaged. With chronic drinking, the dangers of this effect tend to become irreversible. This is where CBD can help as well! Research shows CBD is an effective neuroprotectant. It has shown promising results in treating patients with some severe neurological conditions, including Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Curbing anxiety pangs & regulating heart rate: Not only does the above-mentioned reactions cause anxiety, the intoxication aka inebriation can bring about some “highly philosophical” changes in a human being! If you’ve ever been drunk, you’ll understand what we’re talking about. While many people who drink with a jolly bunch of friends and family members, feel jubilant after a few drinks, while most others can go into a deep depression or anxiety over their lives and life choices when drinking alone or drinking heavily with friends. This most unwelcome effect of drinking is most visible among young drinkers, especially girls. We have already established that CBD is a natural stress-buster, owing to its ability to fight the effects of serotonin, the stress hormone, through its indirect effects on the 5HT1-A receptors (mentioned in the above point). Moreover, quite a bit of research has been done on the effects of CBD on people with anxiety disorders, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder. In fact, studies in this area have yielded promising results, indicating that CBD may play a definitive role in the development of new therapeutic strategies in future psychiatry.
- Acting as an antioxidant against alcohol: We have earlier discussed how alcohol causes oxidative stress in humans. While there are many natural antioxidants found in nature (especially fruits that contain vitamins C and E). However, some studies have proven CBD (as well as THC) to be a more powerful antioxidant than these vitamins. Other studies revealed that CBD is a powerful neuroprotective antioxidant. So much so, the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), of which the FDA is a subagency, owns a patent (#6630507) on “cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants”, in which CBD is explicitly named. So, the next time someone tells you to have lemon juice or cheese to get rid of that nagging hangover, just take a hot shower and a few drops of CBD oil after.
Which CBD Oils Are Best for Hangovers?
- FabCBD – Editor’s Choice
- NuLeaf Naturals – Highly Potent
- Joy Organics – Best THC-Free
Why Are These CBD Oils The Best For Hangovers?
There are quite a few brands of CBD oils in the market. While some a good, others are not so good or even safe; some may give you excellent results, whereas others may cause an allergic reaction. The reason for this is usually the practices used by these brands. Not all brands employ pure quality, all-natural, all-organic, eco-friendly, and human-safe ingredients.
That is why we always try to keep our readers abreast of what’s in store for them in the market and what among those are best for them.
Here’s a shortlist of some of the highest quality, pure, clean, safe, and potent CBD oils that can help you with a bad hangover.
Best CBD Oils for Hangovers
#1. FabCBD’s CBD Oil – Editor’s Choice
The Brand in Brief
FabCBD may not be the biggest brands in the market today, but it certainly is the most potent, safest, organically sourced, and the best suitable CBD oil for combatting the symptoms of a bad hangover.
Apart from the quality of its CBD products, FabCBD has also succeeded in making its mark on the over-crowded marketplace with its brand reliability, superb customer service, and its loyal customer base.
That’s not all, its products are also quite fairly priced. CBD, which is, indeed costly – that is if you’re looking for quality products. But, Fab makes it affordable.
A sneak-peak into FabCBD’s product quality:
- 100% Natural & Organic, Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Made from Full-Spectrum Extracts of Hemp Grown on Regulated Farmlands of Colorado, US + All-Natural Ingredients (terpenes, carrier bases, flavorings, colors, etc.)
- CBD Extracted with Help of the Eco-Friendly CO2 Extraction Process
- Independently Tested by Third-Party Laboratories (with lab reports posted on the brand’s website)
- NO pesticides, heavy metals, residual solvents, or other contaminants
- Legally compliant, a responsible brand with transparent practices
Although FabCBD is sold only from its online portal, it’s not difficult to navigate through its website. You can easily look for what you want and find out what’s best about it. The website is full of essential and interesting information on CBD use, dosage, and benefits, along with product descriptions and customer reviews – everything a website visitor may need to become a potential customer.
- Sizes: 30ml
- Extract Type: Full-Spectrum
- Hemp Source: Colorado, US
- Organically Grown Hemp Extract
- Full-Spectrum Cannabinoid Blend (may contain traces of hemp-derived THC; <0.3%)
- Other Natural Flavorings
- Medium Chain Triglycerides (Fractionated Coconut Oil)
- Lab Reports: ProVerde Laboratories
- 300mg: $39, i.e. $0.13/mg
- 600mg: $59 i.e. $0.10/mg
- 1200mg: $99 i.e. $0.08/mg
- 2400mg: $129, i.e. $0.05/mg
- Other Advantages:
- 30-day money-back guarantee (minus return shipping costs)
- A full refund, if the return is caused by an error on the company’s part (broken, missing, or wrong product delivered)
- Free shipping within the US on orders above $89
- International shipping also available (the UK, Canada)
#2. NuLeaf Naturals’ Hemp CBD Oil – Highly Potent
The Brand in Brief
A well-respected, all-American brand, NuLeaf sells only pure and clean CBD oils. Since its inception by a group of herbal medicine enthusiasts, NuLeaf has been one of the nation’s pioneering hemp product brands that focused largely on quality than quantity or variety.
Selling only full-spectrum hemp-based CBD oil tinctures for both humans and pets, NuLeaf Naturals continually improved and developed one of the industry’s finest and highest-quality CBD oil formulations.
Besides, it also runs a transparent business, ensuring quality control right from cultivation and processing to formulation and packaging.
A sneak-peak into NuLeaf Naturals’ product quality:
- Homegrown, agricultural hemp sourced from select farms in Colorado, US; USDA-certified hemp oil
- 100% Organic Hemp Extracts
- All-Natural Ingredients
- Full-Spectrum CBD Extracts
- No additives or preservatives
- CO2 Extracted
- Superior Processing Technologies Employed
- Third-Party Lab-Tested
- No herbicides, pesticides, chemical fertilizers, residual solvents, or other contaminants
The brand is also known for making CBD products accessible to the public by making it as affordable as possible. The brand’s products are sold both online and in retail stores across the US.
- 300mg (5ml)
- 900mg (15ml)
- 1800mg (30ml)
- 3000mg (50ml)
- 6000mg (100ml)
- In effect, all of them have the same per ml potency, i.e. (60mg/ml).
- Flavors: Flavorless
- Extract Type: Full-Spectrum
- Hemp Source: Colorado, US
- USDA-Certified Organic Virgin Hemp Seed Oil
- Full-Spectrum Hemp Extract
- Lab Reports: Botanacor Laboratories
- 300mg: $38.50, i.e. $0.13/mg
- 900mg: $99, i.e. $0.11/mg
- 1800mg: $179, i.e. $0.10/mg
- 3000mg: $239, i.e. $0.08/mg
- 6000mg: $439, i.e. $0.07/mg
- Other Advantages:
- Fast & Free Shipping Within the US
- 30-day money-back guarantee on only unused products
#3. Joy Organics’ CBD Oil Tinctures – Best THC-Free CBD Oils
The Brand in Brief
Operating out of Fort Collins, Colorado, Joy Organics was founded by Joy Smith and her husband as merely a one-retail store in Colorado.
Today, it is one of premium, online brands in the industry for its high-quality, pharmaceutical-grade CBD products. It also has a presence in the retail market in Texas and Illinois.
Inspired by her personal health issues, the brand’s co-founder and co-owner, Joy Smith, found CBD to be a life savior. However, she soon realized the problems with the industry – accessibility of safe and pure CBD products to the common man.
Made from broad-spectrum hemp extracts (THC-free), Joy Organics’ products are some of the best in the industry. The brand’s state-of-the-art, proprietary technologies, and formulations make the brand one of the most formidable brands in the CBD world.
A sneak-peak into Joy Organics’ products:
- A proprietary strain of CBD-rich, organically grown, industrial hemp; excellent consistency
- CBD extracted using food-grade ethanol
- Nanotechnology in product manufacturing processes for easy absorption and higher bioavailability
- Lab-tested both in-house and by third-party labs
Note: Joy Organics does not make its products in-house. The product manufacturing is outsourced to some reputed manufacturers, like Folium Biosciences.
- Sizes: 30ml
- Tranquil Mint
- Summer Lemon
- Orange Bliss
- Extract Type: Broad-Spectrum (THC-free)
- Hemp Source: Colorado, US
- Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (Natural, Mint)
- Organic MCT (Lemon, Orange)
- CBD-Rich Hemp Extract
- Organic Peppermint Essential Oil (Mint)
- Humulene (Mint, Orange, Lemon)
- Myrcene (Mint, Orange, Lemon)
- β‑Caryophyllene (Mint, Orange, Lemon)
- Lab Reports:
- PIXIS Labs
- Botanacor Services
- Green Scientific Labs
- PhytaTech Metrics & Solutions
- Cloud Labs
- 225mg: $29.95, i.e. $0.13/mg
- 450mg: $53.95, i.e. $0.12/mg
- 900mg: $77.95, i.e. $0.09/mg
- 1350mg: $99.95, i.e. $0.07/mg
- Other Advantages
- Free Shipping
- 30-day refund policy
CBD is Good for Hangover, But It’s NOT a Cure-All!
If you love partying, but can’t handle your drink, it is always better to refrain from drinking altogether. If it’s your bachelor party, however, it may not be so easy to abstain from alcoholic beverages.
So, what should you do?
- First and foremost: Stay hydrated.
- Do not drink on an empty stomach.
- Keep food at hand if you aren’t sure you will be able to fetch any in the course of the night.
- Eat as much cheese as you can and stay away from all the sweet stuff.
- If you still get sloshed, look for coffee at the bar (if that’s where you are) or wherever you’re partying. A freshly made lemon juice may also work if you are nauseous.
There are many other stronger, more potent, and natural methods of busting the effects of a hangover. But most of them can be too harsh on your already-foggy senses.
In such a case, CBD may be a better and wiser choice. CBD is no cure-all and doesn’t always work on everyone. But if you’ve ever tried it out before and you know it works on you – you should certainly give it a try!
If you do plan on using CBD to manage the adverse effects of a bad hangover, make sure you use only the best and the purest CBD oil. The raw benefits of CBD oils have more potency and bioavailability.
And that’s exactly why we created this list of the Best CBD Oils for Hangover for you!
Note: Stay hydrated, stay safe, and always consult your doctor before trying out a new substance.